Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

well im painting the t/a dark shadow grey!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default well im painting the t/a dark shadow grey!

im painting it the same color as the mid 03 svt cobra love that color best gray out on the market!! also doing a black ceta mod with black bird stripes!

anyone know where i can get the stripes and is there going to be any problem clear coating over the vinyl?
Old 01-19-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Veteran

I wouldn't clear coat over the vinyl, if it chips you are now metal deep.

The dark metallic gray is what I call gun metal gray. Just about every dd has been that color - good choice.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GEARHED
I wouldn't clear coat over the vinyl, if it chips you are now metal deep.

The dark metallic gray is what I call gun metal gray. Just about every dd has been that color - good choice.
so it wouldnt peel off or anything would it?

the only thing i had to be worried is if i chip the clearcoat thats over the vinyl?
Old 01-20-2008, 06:20 AM
TECH Veteran

It depends on the clear coat being used. Most could make the color run, the vinyl "slide" from its original position then its sealed in and you won't be able to straighten it out. It could also bubble if the cure temperature is not stable. With the uneven spots between the vinyl and body, the clearcoat can run too and you can't sand or cut that without screwing up the vinyl under it.

If you chip the clear over vinyl after cure it can take the paint off to the metal - remember, there isn't any paint under it or what was is going to be brittle.

Spend the extra $$ to have them painted on if you don't want to worry about all that. It is easy to do, pretty much requires a steady hand, no rushing it, use a cheap vinyl pinstripe kit first to mark it then paint as you peel it back gradually. Keep the brush clean and goo free from paint build up as you go along. Sometimes a shot of whisky makes for a steady hand on that kind of work
Old 01-20-2008, 06:26 AM
TECH Veteran

btw just painted on pinstripes last week on the same body color you are doing. Used a black and lighter gray two line. It didn't scream pinstripe but looked hella good blending in and standing out at the same time. It was out of paint bay for 2 days so it required not being distracted at all while doing it. Again, wish I had a picture of it because it was low key until you caught it in the light just right.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

standox and spies and hekker makes an awesome 2k single stage ralley matte black finish that would look awesome for the black bird stripes. i dont know if your going with gloss or a semi gloss but i think the semi gloss accents well. if you want a gloss just lay down black for the stripes and clear everything.

Quick Reply: well im painting the t/a dark shadow grey!