Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

college students paint my car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So anyone know any schools in FL that would do this kind of thing?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Banned

if you're in the greated LA area, there's a vocational school called "West Valley Occupational" (Near Pierce College) .My buddy did a class there...and loved it. Now i'm going to take my POS ford Probe there to get it fixed up!!
Old 02-13-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Calstud86
if you're in the greated LA area, there's a vocational school called "West Valley Occupational" (Near Pierce College) .My buddy did a class there...and loved it. Now i'm going to take my POS ford Probe there to get it fixed up!!
tight! im going to give them a buzz tomorrow!
Old 02-13-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone know of a school that would paint my car in Ohio? Also, if they do prep work or not?
Old 02-13-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check your local community colleges almost all of them will have a auto shop and most are really good.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:23 AM
Launching!

I think it's at University's too. My mom got her Honda done at the University of Central Florida.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by REDHOtTransAM
My mom got her Honda done at the University of Central Florida.
Awesome thats really close to me

I will have to give them a call sometime soon!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

I am in one in Columiana, Alabama.(high school tech class) Our teacher checks our work and won't let it go till it is very good. We usually have a team or 2 or 3 guys working on a car and we get almost 2 hours a day to work on it. Yeah, it takes a while, depending on how much body work is needed. If we only had to sand it down a little, then paint it and buff and everything, it would probably take a week and a half or two. We only charge the cost of parts plus twenty percent. We do stripes, which our teacher is highly involved in the process. We just finished a miata that is white with black stripes and it looks awesome. For example also, we had a 91 ford taurus that was wrecked in the front. Needed a new radiatior support and new front bumper and fenders. Anywhere else they took it to and it would have been totalled. We gave them an estimate and I believe it only costed them 700 bucks.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

O snap that is awesome I always wanted my car black, and i'm a college kid so i've got no money.

Anybody know anyone in NJ or PA?
Old 02-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 94BlackSSClone
I am in one in Columiana, Alabama.(high school tech class) Our teacher checks our work and won't let it go till it is very good. We usually have a team or 2 or 3 guys working on a car and we get almost 2 hours a day to work on it. Yeah, it takes a while, depending on how much body work is needed. If we only had to sand it down a little, then paint it and buff and everything, it would probably take a week and a half or two. We only charge the cost of parts plus twenty percent. We do stripes, which our teacher is highly involved in the process. We just finished a miata that is white with black stripes and it looks awesome. For example also, we had a 91 ford taurus that was wrecked in the front. Needed a new radiatior support and new front bumper and fenders. Anywhere else they took it to and it would have been totalled. We gave them an estimate and I believe it only costed them 700 bucks.
i'm surprised you were allowed to work on the taurus after it had been to other shops and gotten an estimate. i know in our autobody program if a car had gotten an estimate from another shop we couldn't touch the car because NOBODY can match our prices - because we don't charge labor, so it's considered competition. if they come to us right after the accident then yes, we can work on it, but not if they've been to another collision repair shop.
(just re-read that, and maybe i read it wrong the first time, that the taurus hadn't been to other shops, but if it had it would have been totalled....)
Old 02-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Launching!

sweet, definetely need to find somewhere in socal to hook this up!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Vo-tech near me does this but as far as time frames I have heard of people getting their cars back anywhere from a few weeks to a whole semester. Since it is a class they usually are training on these cars and only work on them during class time.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

well that sucks, i couldnt lose my car for more than a week or so.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by '00_Z
The Vo-tech near me does this but as far as time frames I have heard of people getting their cars back anywhere from a few weeks to a whole semester. Since it is a class they usually are training on these cars and only work on them during class time.
that's fine with me, i have 3 vehicles. I can go without one for awhile
Old 02-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Launching!

i am a full time painter now, but i taught the voactional class at my community college, i know the teachers are very picky about how the cars turn out, i was, id give it a try, im sure youd be surprised
Old 02-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Launching!

I am definetely going to give it a try as soon as I find a school to do it!

Quick Reply: college students paint my car?