Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Fresh Paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fresh Paint

Are there any good sites with information on how to care for fresh paint? Picking up the TA later this week after a complete paint job but I've heard that you should wait x amount of days before washing and waxing. Any thoughts?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

I know on my touch up paint it says don't wax for 30 days.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I tell my customers to wait 120 days for waxing (as per paint mfr. reccomendations). Hand washing and car washes are ok as long as the car wash is not the automatic one that uses brushes. Try to remove any bird droppings as soon as possible as well as bug splatter and tree sap.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

everything stated above. also dont ever store your car in a bubble lol like some of these show cars are stored. the paint needs to breathe until its completely cured and if you stick in one of those bubbles it might lift or the chemicals will react wierd. keep in ventelated area(garage etc) and if you cover it make sure the cover breathes.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fast_94_Z
everything stated above. also dont ever store your car in a bubble lol like some of these show cars are stored. the paint needs to breathe until its completely cured and if you stick in one of those bubbles it might lift or the chemicals will react wierd. keep in ventelated area(garage etc) and if you cover it make sure the cover breathes.
Awesome, thanks to everyone for the info. The good news is that I live in San Diego, so weather SHOULD be okay, no rain and of course no frozen stuff. Think I'll keep a bottle of quick detailer and some micro fiber towels in the car for a while just in case the birds make me a target hehe.

I've been looking into getting a porter cable and some good quality wax for when I can detail the car again. I want to make sure the paint is protected as much as possible. I've been browsing autogeek.net and looking at the products they have there. Are those waxes worth all that money? The Wolfgang and Pinnacle XMT products? They sound amazing but anything can sound good from the companies description.