Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Fiberglass on a boat floor

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fiberglass on a boat floor

I just got a 1978 Alacraft tri-hull ski boat with a 50hp evinride. In the floor where the walk through glass is there is a weak spot. Im not sure what these floors are made out of but it seems to be some type of fiberglass. I can and have done fiberglass work before but do yall think the average run of the mill fiberglass will hold if i lay the mat down and fiberglass over the weak spot and run it about 2in out from the edges of the weak spot? If that wouldnt hold the weight of an average person then what would you suggest? I traded an old snapper riding lawnmower i got for free and a 12ga shotgun i traded some blown subs for to the guy for the boat and that is the only thing thats wrong with it is that weak spot and the fact that it needs a new battery. What do yall think would be the best way to fix this? Just for clarification, its not on the hull of the boat but on the floor in the boat where you sit/walk
Old 03-06-2008, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Anyone? I kinda need to do this in the morning.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Teching In

The weak spot is probably caused by rotted stringers. and if you just mat over the area it will still be weak. best way is to cut out the weak spot, fill the stringers with an epoxy, west system is a great product to use. get some marine plywood fill the whole and then mat over that. boats are a pain in the *** to play with lol, its always something deeper and more difficult than a car. i own a boating supply store and see this stuff all the time
Old 03-12-2008, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Thanks i appreciate it. The only problem is it took too long for someone to respond so I went ahead and matted over the weak area. Theres alomost no give when i stand on it so it made it about 95% perfect. Thanks for the info though. Ill eventually do that.

Quick Reply: Fiberglass on a boat floor