Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

HOW TO: Nightshade/Blackout Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha yea...

i couldnt find the one that mcalus used... and i didn't wanna order online and wait.

So I asked around at local auto parts stores and all didn't have any. They directed me to "Razors". It's a store for ricers... they sell all kinds of ricer goodies lol.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks really good!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1BLKSS
looks really good!!!
Thank you! I did it to my first Camaro and I will never go back its is probably one of the easiest and cheapest appearance mods you can do and it changes the whole look of the car, and you have to admit there isn't that great of taillights in the aftermarket world for our cars. You pretty much have a choice of Euros or carbon fiber......
Old 04-09-2008, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea i tried to do it last weekend; the VHT ran like a mexican for the border...my new tail lights should be in this week....

guess i can't be good at EVERYTHING....
Old 04-09-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nightrydass
yea i tried to do it last weekend; the VHT ran like a mexican for the border...my new tail lights should be in this week....

guess i can't be good at EVERYTHING....
i just got 3 cans of VHT and clear, and practiced on my blazer's tail lights. it came out ok, but the VHT puddled up a little bit and dried with cracks in it... you have to spray this stuff SUPER light.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea, mine puddled and made a run for it; it kind of looked like the Cingular comercial with the bars of different lenghts. i dunno what happened. Just as well tho; i saw how dark they came out and i was kind of worried that some tool would use my rear end as their brake peddle and then pull some bullshit that they couldn't see my brake lights and i would get butt fucked both ways.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nightrydass
yea, mine puddled and made a run for it; it kind of looked like the Cingular comercial with the bars of different lenghts. i dunno what happened. Just as well tho; i saw how dark they came out and i was kind of worried that some tool would use my rear end as their brake peddle and then pull some bullshit that they couldn't see my brake lights and i would get butt fucked both ways.
Call up Cingular and see if they will use it as part of their commercial, then you can use the money to buy some new tails...LOL
Old 04-10-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get a block and sand all the casting numbers off first. Looks even better when done.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kwiksilverz28
Get a block and sand all the casting numbers off first. Looks even better when done.
Didn't really think of it until I started spraying.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

The VHT looks good, nice job! I do wonder about the wear capabilities or fading of a "rattle can" job. Several of my Auto Body students did this last year. They wet sanded with 1000 grit first. Then prepped with water based wax and grease remover. They mixed 1/2 to 1 ounce (depending on how dark they wanted it) of black urethane single stage paint into 20 ounces of catalyzed urethane clear coat. The paint and clear use the same hardner. One GTP was red and the other was black and this looked nice and neat on the cars. I was skeptical at first, but I'm thinking about doing it to my red camaro. Just thought the LS1 Tech community would like this recipe, I think it would be more durable than the rattle can method, but more expensive.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by greg campbell
The VHT looks good, nice job! I do wonder about the wear capabilities or fading of a "rattle can" job. Several of my Auto Body students did this last year. They wet sanded with 1000 grit first. Then prepped with water based wax and grease remover. They mixed 1/2 to 1 ounce (depending on how dark they wanted it) of black urethane single stage paint into 20 ounces of catalyzed urethane clear coat. The paint and clear use the same hardner. One GTP was red and the other was black and this looked nice and neat on the cars. I was skeptical at first, but I'm thinking about doing it to my red camaro. Just thought the LS1 Tech community would like this recipe, I think it would be more durable than the rattle can method, but more expensive.
Yes that is the ideal way to do it but your right alot more expensive and not many people have access to a gun. I did this to my last Camaro and it was on there for a year and I drove it in Michigan winter, not a single problem, I think if you put a good couple coats of clear on them and wax them like you would normally do to your car. I haven't heard of a single problem with the rattle can Nightshade. The only problems I HAVE heard of is people putting it on too thick and not giving time between coats.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

Sticky!!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are some of the pictures after I wet sanded and buffed them out. Sorry I forgot to get some up close pics but you get the idea.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

looks amazing im going to do my sidemarkers on my trans am this week
Old 05-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Launching!

I heard vht sold out to duplicolor, is the new nightshade duplicolor going to work the same? Another question is, how do these look on black transams?
Old 07-10-2008, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

how do i get them to look so shiney after clears on. should i wet sand with 2000grit then polish and buff?
Old 07-10-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kylerobison
how do i get them to look so shiney after clears on. should i wet sand with 2000grit then polish and buff?
I started at 800 and went to 3000. You could prolly be safe starting at 1000 but I had some dirt nibs on account of spraying it in my barn.

Then I just used 3M's line up. Or if you have any other heavy/light/polish.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

M
Old 07-10-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BadA$$
I heard vht sold out to duplicolor, is the new nightshade duplicolor going to work the same? Another question is, how do these look on black transams?
Someones car on here, hope he doesn't care I use his pics.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:06 AM

I have an 06 sentra and i just bought both cans of spray, my scotch brite pad, and im going to get 1000-3000 sand papers, i was just wondering, could you spray each coat, sand it with a high grit paper, do that for the 5 coats, and then do the same with the clear coat, cause i want to get a perfect shine like i see from yours and at the same time, have a pitch black tail light
Old 08-22-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlckSntra
I have an 06 sentra and i just bought both cans of spray, my scotch brite pad, and im going to get 1000-3000 sand papers, i was just wondering, could you spray each coat, sand it with a high grit paper, do that for the 5 coats, and then do the same with the clear coat, cause i want to get a perfect shine like i see from yours and at the same time, have a pitch black tail light
Sanding between coats won't get you a better shine. You might run into problems having sandscratches and what not, just spray each coat very lightly, leave about 5 min for it to get tacky then spray the next one. Once you have how dark you want them let it tack off again and put quite a few coats of clear on them. When you put your clear on, put it on a heavy as possible without running it. Good luck! Hope it turns out nice!

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Nightshade/Blackout Taillights