Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

need info on a step by step berger panel mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need info on a step by step berger panel mod

First off i want to cover the camaro inprint. Can i use bondo? Or do i have to use some fiberclass type like bondo?

What type of sand paper to start and finish?

After i take off the rear panel do i paint the rear black once the panel is off? Or should i only paint the rear panel.

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:42 AM
TECH Addict

well ill answer your second question first. you really dont need to paint the inside of it. the main thing you want to paint is the outside and where the tail lights go. actually when i do mine im not even going to mask it so just overspray gets inside then im not really worried about it. so heres what i would do personally.

heres what i would do. since you want to fill the camaro letters i would sand down the inside of the letters with 180 grit so that theres no shiney spots. if you cant get everything with the 180 then just use a red scuff pad for everything u cant get. then i would take a d/a and 220 and sand the whole exterior of the panel. apply your bondo to the camaro letters. you might have to apply more then 1 coat if the letters are still low. its better to apply a few lighter coats then 1 heavy coat. block sand the bondo with 120 and then 180. if the letters are still just a little low use evercoat glaze and give it a good skim coat. block sand the glaze with 220. after get the primer blocked out and straight feather around the bondo with 400 grit and a d/a but do not go over the bondo what so ever. then mask off around the tail lights because you dont need to get primer in there unless you want to have a hell of a time getting it sanded. if theres any bare plastic showing through apply adhesion promotor to it. then i would put 4 coats of primer. first coat over the bondo, 2nd coat over the bondo but go a little farther out, 3rd and 4th coat go over the entire panel. after its cured i would guide coat the panel and block the whole panel with 220 and re-guide coat then 400. if a lot of bondo shows through after 400 re-prime the panel again. then after its good and blocked re apply more guide coat wetsand with 600 and then 800 grit and a hard block or soft block. the guide coat is so you know where your high and low spots are. after you wetsand make sure to clean the panel with soap and water inside and out and clean it really good. figure out how you can mount it. clean the panel with wax and grease or silicone remover. then tach it off with a tach cloth right before you spray it. if you want to go with satin or flat being clean is the kep process. you might find having to spay quite a few coats until u get one with out dirt. after you get good coverage look for any dirt and if there is any wetsand out the knibs with 1000 or 1200 grit by hand. after you dry it off apply another coat or 2. if you want to go with gloss then seal it lay down your base coat, clear it, and if theres any knibs wetsand them out or if you me wetsand al the orange peel out of the panel. and then buff it back out. any other questions shoot me a pm
Old 03-08-2008, 06:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks, thats what i needed to know, sounds like a lot of work but should be fun
Old 03-23-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I finished the mod the other day. And i will say i wasn't expecting so much work to get her done. But then again the panel wasn't in the best of shape.

heres the link, check it out, thanks to fast_94_z for the help
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post8986635
Old 03-25-2008, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

Every thing sounded good except for the use of "bondo". Granted bondo is easier to work with but when your working on fiberglass already, why not use fiber glass. Ive done several and Ive used both kitty hair and resign. Resign really works the best. Heres a pic of the last I did with resign. Dont pay attention to the oil. I had the dreaded intake leak.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

i only said bondo because its a little easier to work with and its more available to people. i use kitty hair aswell.

Quick Reply: need info on a step by step berger panel mod