Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Want to do body work my self (???)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Want to do body work my self (???)

Hi guys, I have my f-bird about to leave to the body shop for a full resto. The guys from the shop told me that the plan is to change the floors, rockers, rear quarters, replace some sheet metal, a strip of fresh metal here and there and get it all ready for paint. I've been buyng tons of hot rod mags and reading this forum since I bought the bird, and it seems that the fashion is to do everything yourself, which I'm verry interested in. I have never put a finger on any welding machine, but I use to get my hands on my cars every time I can and fix small problems and I love doing it, and I feel or guess that I can do the body thing with some help of you guys.
I would prefer to invest the money of the body work on one of those nice welding machine that has all those auto settings and the necesary tools to get the thing done.
My question for you experts or experienced ones is: do you recomend me to do this?
Should I better take it to the body shop?
What do you guys think?

Tomorrow I'm posting some close pics of the body, so you may have an idea of how much work might be invloved.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

replacing quarters rockers and floor pans. thats some pretty heavy stuf to start out on. im not saying you cant do it but i would recommend starting with something a little smaller. most everyone can work a little mud but large panel replacement and replacement of strucutral parts like rockers you should at least have someone THERE in person to help. good luck
Old 03-13-2008, 01:04 AM
Launching!

Id say it all depends on your skill level. Replacing body panels on any car is a pain thats some thing you need to watch out for.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

i say take it to a shop. quarters and floors can be a real pain. replcing quarters and floors require more then just cutting and welding. im restoring my 81 camaro and its a lot of work.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Launching!

Agreed with the above comments. I'm all for DIY, but replacing quarters, rockers, and floorpans is some pretty serious work for a beginner. Especially using aftermarket parts that aren't going to fit like OEM.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

You are all right, it's not a begginers job, also it would be a shame to ruin an original f-body. I got too excited reading about people that has done their own body works, but did not figure out that they are people with skills.
I guess I'm taking it to the shop, and later on I'll buy the welding machine, and learn from an expert and practice with some scrap, and when experienced I'll buy another resto car.

Thanks guys! I was going to screw up my brand new old car.