Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Frame question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Frame question.

Now this may sound crazy but im curious. Can you completely replace a frame rail? Only reason I ask is because my car was totalled once due to frame damage and it got pulled but is still off a little. (Had to shim the kmember at the front of the drivers side) So thats what im curious about. I know it would be expensive, but just for conversations sake.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

idk about a f-body but i done it on a rsx its a very big pain in the ***
Old 03-14-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well lets say i just brought you a rolling chassis? Would that make it better simply because it would be out in the open or would it still be a pain in the dick to do?
Old 03-14-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

rolling chassis with no engine would be a LOT easier since i wouldnt have to pull the engine to do it. (that was the hardest part) then imo its pretty easy to take off the old frame rail, just drill out the spot welds, the you have to spot weld on the new frame rail and then check it for straightness to make sure your on target with what your doing. but it will be pretty close to dead on after its welded up to the core support and the main body. and its not that expensive, really its not. its just easier to pull it than it is to replace it. most costly thing is pulling the engine and tranny and then putting it all back together again.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:16 AM
TECH Addict

agree with what was said above. its still a pain in the *** though.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97badass
rolling chassis with no engine would be a LOT easier since i wouldnt have to pull the engine to do it. (that was the hardest part) then imo its pretty easy to take off the old frame rail, just drill out the spot welds, the you have to spot weld on the new frame rail and then check it for straightness to make sure your on target with what your doing. but it will be pretty close to dead on after its welded up to the core support and the main body. and its not that expensive, really its not. its just easier to pull it than it is to replace it. most costly thing is pulling the engine and tranny and then putting it all back together again.
Thats a good thing to hear. I was afraid that it was going to be REALLY expensive. Thanks again Jon

Last edited by Black02SLPSS; 03-15-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Only reason im considering doing this is because its still not right. Its bent upward and still crinkled a bit from its first death. And its bent far enough up that i had to shim the front part of the new used k member, and im not really thrilled about that
Old 03-19-2008, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

i personally would have it pulled to make it right but, you can def. buy a frame rail and put the entire thing in or splice it in. ive pulled many many frames and ive never had to shim ****, we dont even allow any shims in our shop believe it or not. if that frame is pulled to factory specs everything will be fine. we have a 2mm tolerance at the shop i work at. i just pulled the frame on a explorer last week and got it dead on and thats a full frame. if you had the frame fixxed the first time at a shop i would take it back and and have them repair it properly. youve got a project on your hands either way but pulling that motor and everything attached to that frame rail will be much more involed.