Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Paintless Dent Repair question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paintless Dent Repair question?

I have some damage to my hood and the dent guy says it is close to the edge and he will have to try to pop it from the outside with the hot glue technique. He says it will probably remove the paint. Is there a trick that will not remove the paint. He already did one spot and it did remove some paint. There are a couple of other places over more to the center he said he can drill a hole under the insulator and work it out underneath but this other is too close to the edge and he doesn't have any way to get it out. It is on a 91 Chevy Silverado that I show. The hood flew up and creased on one side about a 12 inch section. Any ideas or opinions suggestions appreciated?
Old 03-26-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

pdr is the devil

probly cheaper off buying a new hood
Old 03-26-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I really did not want to buy a new hood since it is going to cost twice as much. Why do you say PDR is the devil?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

drilling holes is never a good thing on body panels. i would get a new hood. or let a bodyshop fix it. PDR sucks, if they drill holes into panels.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Indeed PDR is the devil, all the guys that do it around here have horns. The guy that did yours didnt wear a hat to cover up the horns did he? Seriously just get a new hood, you do not want holes that were not there before. Also a 12 inch crease sounds a little to nasty for even the best PDR tech. Go to a reputable shop and get it done right.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've never heard of PDR involving drilling holes.

I used a PDR shop for my truck when it got hit by some bitch in NJ. The rear quarter panel had a dent in it but because the paint wasn't scratched, he just popped the taillight out and massaged the dent out. Cost me $75 and looked almost like new.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My paintless dent guy is awesome. He's taken out 4 of em on my TA and 2 on my Colorado. Never had to drill one hole yet.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

we got hit hard here in douglasville ga by baseball size hail and there are pdr trucks and trailers everywhere. if they cant get to a dent like in the quarters they will drill a hole. and but a lil push in clip in place of the hole..im with VETMAN1 12" crease is a bad dent. get a shop to fix it. pdr guy just wants your money...
Old 03-26-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This guy actually works with the body shop I went to. I have no problem with dent removal guys. He already made a hugh improvement. My concern was taking more paint off but it is going to have to be painted if he can't straighten it out. I will find out how big a hole he is talking about. He knows it is a show truck with the hood up at shows. He said he would drill it where it did not show behind the insulator and also he would put a push clip in it. I am trying to get it fixed with the least amount of stress and repaint necessary. This is an original truck and I don't want to have to replace the hood. The 12 inch place has been reduced to several small places now so he brought it up alot with one shot. I have never had a problem with these guys. He is like 60 years old and has been doing it for 18 years. He goes to the dealers and does there cars. I will talk to the body shop guy some more about it but he really says this guy does good work. Plan A was to get it fixed with no paint needed Plan B will be to have the body shop finish off making it straight the old school way with rivets and paint it. It is original paint so paint matching I didn't want to deal with either. He says he can blend the paint and clear coat the whole hood and touch up a few nicks on the hood while he is at it.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't the body shop drill holes to pull the panel back up level and fill them in?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chevygirl
Don't the body shop drill holes to pull the panel back up level and fill them in?
NO, and if they did they weld the hole closed again.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay the body shop says they use pop rivets to pull it back up and use some bondo. These is a reputable body shop that just did a $52,000 restoration on a 62 Impala so I am just going by what they say. Maybe some filler has to be used to level it completely. I am just a detailer and have never done body work. Does the whole hood have to be painted or can you just spot blend and then clear the entire hood for a uniform appearance but not taking a chance on the color not matching by painting the whole hood.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Spot in the color and re-clear the whole hood and blend and clear any adjacecent panels if needed.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vetman1
NO, and if they did they weld the hole closed again.
most shops use whats called a unispoter it welds tabs so you can pull without drilling.

Quick Reply: Paintless Dent Repair question?