Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How to fix bad edges on stripes.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question How to fix bad edges on stripes.

Ok a buddy of mine liked the stripes I painted on my T/A so much and since I did it myself, he was inspired to do it himself also. HOWEVER, he used regular masking tape for the edges and not the 3M plastic painters tape (like I did). So the edges of his stripes look like ripped paper. How do you fix that? Other than re-painting...that's our last resort if there isn't a way to fix it. I just can't immagine a do-able way and thought I turn to the experts here on LS1Tech! Thanks for the help. Swat
Old 04-14-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Repaint is the only good way to do this. And yes he needs to use the blue 3m tape that comes in the small sizes. made out of somekind of plastic. And the trick to leaving a flattened edge is to NOT let the paint fully harden before taking it off, asides from a good prep job for adhesion. When the paint is still semi wet you pull the tape off carefully not to touch the stripe and that edge will flatten out opossed to just letting it dry and leaving a big nasty feeling edge there.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I told him to peel the tape right away and he did. What you said is the same thing I did with my stripes. I used masking tape mostly, but the plastic tape was THE edge of the paint on all sides. My stripes turned out straight and his with masking tape only didn't. Let this be a learning experience for any other DIYers. Swat

Quick Reply: How to fix bad edges on stripes.