Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

HELP! Body troubles!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Body troubles!

Ok, so we gota n ss this weekend, had some stress cracks on the hood... No big deal.. we thought.. Now we have taken it to three different body shops and they are telling us that is needs a new hood.. I dont know how to take this seeing they might just be saying that to get the markup for the part.. should we replace it, or just have them go ahead and repaint it. Will it last, or in 6 months just start spider cracking again?
Old 04-21-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Post some pics so we can tell what you are working with. It might be worth fixing, it might not. A good body guy can work wonders with fiberglass...but it costs.

Or you could just forget about it and trade it to me for my cowl hood
Old 04-21-2008, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

if you paint over "cracks" without repairing them they WILL def. come back. however if its just spider web then the paint should be taken down to remove them all, then prime and paint. hoods are a pain to do large amounts of body work to because every little thing will show up on the large flat panel. im sure your hood could be repaired but the question is "is it cost effective"? sometimes its cheaper to get another panel. after you post pics ill offer my advice on how it should be repaired.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lookin4anLS1
Ok, so we gota n ss this weekend, had some stress cracks on the hood... No big deal.. we thought.. Now we have taken it to three different body shops and they are telling us that is needs a new hood.. I dont know how to take this seeing they might just be saying that to get the markup for the part.. should we replace it, or just have them go ahead and repaint it. Will it last, or in 6 months just start spider cracking again?
try and find some one on this site maybe you can get a hood. just a thought!

Quick Reply: HELP! Body troubles!