Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Fixing deep scratch question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Fixing deep scratch question

Quick question on fixing a deep scratch in my paint. I know that the scratch is into the base and possibly into the fiberglass but not 100% sure...I just know it's deep. I plan to tape off the area getting as close to the 3" long scratch as possible and wetsand it down to get any ridges level with the rest of the good paint and then fill it with a brush (touch-up paint from paintscratch.com) and then wetsand the base to get it smooth with the surrounding area. Then spray a quality clear on the area and wetsand (at least 1000 grit - up to 2000) to ensure it stays smooth and doing a final coat of clear and wetsanding again. Do you guys think that if this is done right then it will be very hard to see where the scratch used to be? I know the best repair is to repaint the whole panel but I don't want to do that right now at all. I have one deep scratch I want to try this on and if it works then I might try it on some smaller scratches on the car. Any suggestions/opinions?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will more than likely still be able to see it but nothing like it is now
Old 04-29-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

tell me how this goes, i wanna try this on my car, however the scratches are alot longer. please post some pics after your done
Old 04-29-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes youll still be able to see it, odds are you probably wont be anle to match the color but just add little by little and itll be much better than what t was before.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah I figured the color won't be 100% but I really just want to get it to the point that you have to be within 5' or so and looking for it to find it. The thing that worries me the most is the clear and making sure it doesn't get cloudy or anything like that. All I have is a spray can of Dupont auto clear or something like that which cost like $15 for the can.I figure if it lays down ok then the wetsand/buff should get it looking good.