Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Just got my Camaro back from the paint shop!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

--NEVER WAX after a paint job..Never. That painter is CRAZY--SORRY.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like that palmolive stuff, cleans good, I thought you were not supposed to wax a newly painted car for like the 1st month?
Old 05-05-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Veteran

**** dude!! that painter must be a complete dumbass if he told you it's fine putting wax on it right after painting! Like the others said strip that wax off and hopefully you wont have a complete loss. If it does **** up get your money back or have the painter repaint it for bein an ignorant ***. But it does look real nice, like that red
Old 05-05-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Wow, I cant believe he would say something like that, I hope your paint is ok. If not make the fool fix it.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CamaroFan71
Was it a total repaint? If so they should have painted the top black and the headlight buckets again also.
kinda. The roof was pretty much the only part of the car that wasnt repainted. It was fine, and I didnt want to spend money on things I didnt have to. The top was maroon to begin with, and they did repaint the headlight buckets.

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
OMG I hope you didn't cause damage. Well in a few weeks when your paint is bubbling take it back to that guy and tell him to fix it

Also, why did you get black mirrors, but not a black top?
I didnt chose to get black mirrors. I'm pretty sure they came from the factory that way.. Right? Its a 94. It didnt come with a black top either.

I called the guy back up today just to make sure I was hearing him correctly, and he said it would be fine. I still stripped the wax off it anyways. Hes a pretty well respected painter in my town as well.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I always thought the same, don't wax for about a month. I always have though. I use to work at 2 different body shops cleaning cars and they'd have me wax them after they were don't painting.

Anyways paint looks good.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

clearly hes backing his claim so if anything does go wrong looks like you can blame it on him because it couldnt be the wax so it musta been something he did right....i was always under the impression of no waxing as well, even some soap is bad i thought.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JSmee99T/A
clearly hes backing his claim so if anything does go wrong looks like you can blame it on him because it couldnt be the wax so it musta been something he did right....i was always under the impression of no waxing as well, even some soap is bad i thought.
I always thought that you werent supposed to wax it as well.. And thats why I was very hesitant about it. He said he even applied a coat of wax on it before he gave it to me and buffed it out.

He is a pretty well respected painter in my area too. A lot of big dealerships have him do touchup work on cars too.

And he said that he WILL back his work. And that IF there were any problems, that I could take it back and he would fix them. He also said that he guarantees his work.

Hes been painting cars for years too. He uses Dupont paint (dont know if that matters).
Old 05-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Launching!

i'm pretty sure that you only need to worry unless the wax has silicone or something in them, most new waxes don't
Old 05-06-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've had my car painted about 8 times now since I had the flames done and by 3 different painters. They all said the same as I said earlier and everyone else has said. No wax so paint can cure. This is pretty much why and just like someone else posted

By waxing a new paint finish you are trapping the solvents that have not yet evaporated. Trapping the solvents can lead to blistering, refered to as "Solvent Popping" Although a paint finish may dry to the touch in a short time, the paint does not reach its complete hardness until all solvents have escaped. For the first polishing, I recommend using a polish that does not contain wax or silicones. These products are referred to in the industry as "Body Shop Safe". 3M Imperial Hand Glaze is good product for this but requires a lot of elbow grease. It hides all swirls, rags marks, etc, but will not trap solvents.

I never used wax anyway...but polishes instead such as the 3m Products and Zaino
Old 05-06-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
I
And he said that he WILL back his work. And that IF there were any problems, that I could take it back and he would fix them. He also said that he guarantees his work.
Thats good to know that he will back his work, and fix it if there is a problem.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Launching!

good info michelle, but zaino isn't a polish. polishes remove a thin layer via abrasion. zaino has the same effect as a wax, it's just a polymer like epoxy instead.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Teching In

o boy....if the shizer hits the fan atleast he'll fix the problem
Old 05-07-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Junkie

NEVER WAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wtf!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
I always thought that you werent supposed to wax it as well.. And thats why I was very hesitant about it. He said he even applied a coat of wax on it before he gave it to me and buffed it out.

He is a pretty well respected painter in my area too. A lot of big dealerships have him do touchup work on cars too.

Hes been painting cars for years too. He uses Dupont paint (dont know if that matters).
You better hope so, everyone is a standup guy....Until **** hits the fan