Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How much should it cost to get a fiberglass hood painted?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How much should it cost to get a fiberglass hood painted?

I bought an ebay fiberglass SS hood and I'm wanting to get it painted. I was thinking it would cost around $400 for a pretty good job. The car is black, and I just want the hood painted(I could care less about blending the fender). I just went and got my first quote from a shop and it's $605 to prep and paint the hood and do a quick spray underneath it. Painting a hood doesn't seem like that hard of a job to me, but I don't know a lot about body work so maybe I'm talking outta my ***. I understand it's fiberglass and needs to be prepped a certain way, but $605? What is the average cost to get a fiberglass hood prepped and painted?
Old 05-07-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat with my WS9 hood..just want the top and bottom painted..I'm goin on Saturday for an estimate to paint and align it perfectly so i'll keep ya updated as to what they tell me.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JerseyLS1TA
I'm in the same boat with my WS9 hood..just want the top and bottom painted..I'm goin on Saturday for an estimate to paint and align it perfectly so i'll keep ya updated as to what they tell me.
Thanks, I already aligned mine and am pretty much just looking for a simple prep and paint and I'll even bolt the hood back on the car.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my fiberglass hood painted back in 01 or 02 and they charged me $500 something. It was already aligned, so they just painted like what you are needing if that helps.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whre you at ? folks around here do it anywhere from $200 - $400 just depending who does it and the turn around time .
Old 05-07-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

I got quotes this week for bumper cover and blending onto fenders and hood. $950-$1310. 2-stage process. I just can't believe what they get for paint and prep, but there seem to be many more hours of prep involved than I can understand. Some colors cost more than others, black is the cheapest.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NJNETSFAN
I bought an ebay fiberglass SS hood and I'm wanting to get it painted. I was thinking it would cost around $400 for a pretty good job. The car is black, and I just want the hood painted(I could care less about blending the fender). I just went and got my first quote from a shop and it's $605 to prep and paint the hood and do a quick spray underneath it. Painting a hood doesn't seem like that hard of a job to me, but I don't know a lot about body work so maybe I'm talking outta my ***. I understand it's fiberglass and needs to be prepped a certain way, but $605? What is the average cost to get a fiberglass hood prepped and painted?
Here is where your cost comes from. first its an aftermarket fiberglass hood. they will have to test fit and make any corrections to the shape of the hood to get all body lines straight. Top of the hood will have to be sanded and then primed. Once primer is dry they will block the hood out to make sure all minor flaws in the fiberglass are gone. I imagine they will just scuff and shoot the bottom, and while this sounds like a "quick spray" it still takes at least 1-2 hours for this process alone. next they will flip the hood knock off any overspray and then seal, base, and clear the hood, 1-2 hours. Once the paint is dry enough they will nib any dirt out of the clear (hopefully) and then install it on the car. While it sounds like an easy job there is plenty of man hours as well as cost of supplies that go into painting a hood. Once you get your hood painted if any problems arise to shrinking of the fiberglass guess where the first place you are taking it. Back to the paint shop, hence the cost to do it right the first time and not cheap leaving you with issues.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02WS6speed
Here is where your cost comes from. first its an aftermarket fiberglass hood. they will have to test fit and make any corrections to the shape of the hood to get all body lines straight. Top of the hood will have to be sanded and then primed. Once primer is dry they will block the hood out to make sure all minor flaws in the fiberglass are gone. I imagine they will just scuff and shoot the bottom, and while this sounds like a "quick spray" it still takes at least 1-2 hours for this process alone. next they will flip the hood knock off any overspray and then seal, base, and clear the hood, 1-2 hours. Once the paint is dry enough they will nib any dirt out of the clear (hopefully) and then install it on the car. While it sounds like an easy job there is plenty of man hours as well as cost of supplies that go into painting a hood. Once you get your hood painted if any problems arise to shrinking of the fiberglass guess where the first place you are taking it. Back to the paint shop, hence the cost to do it right the first time and not cheap leaving you with issues.
From my understanding, it's about a 6-7 hour job total. The hood is aligned and I will be unbolting the hood and taking it to them, so there is no labor involved with lining the hood back up because I will be doing it. The funny thing was, while I was at the body shop I was like "well I don't want to get a really cheap job and have the paint crack in 6 months", and the guy was like "well we really can't guarantee our work on fiberglass". So it pretty much sounds like the guy was going to charge me $600 for a maaco quality job. On top of that, he said some of the fiberglass webbing may show up in the final paint job and there is no way the hood is in that bad of shape. Btw, I'm located in Southern Jersey.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

we paint new hoods off the car this way we can just get both sides done at once. personally i thinks its the best way. and heres the thing no matter what company you get a fibgerglass hood from its gunna need work. either it needs to be trimmed around the edges or its going to need some blocking and primer and then more blocking before paint. i mean who the hell wants a wavy hood especially if you have a black car because you'll see it in black more then any other car. i think 600 or 650 sounds about right to do it right the first time. also in my opinion if he said there might be spider webbing in the finished product they arent diong it right and thats not a shop i would take my car too. it might speder web 10-20 years down the line depending on how much stress is put on the piece and so forth but there should be no spider webbing in the finished product the day its done being painted. try a different shop imo.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NJNETSFAN
I bought mine and it need some TLC in certain areas..ended up running me a little over 600
Old 05-09-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It really depends on how much prep work is needed and the quality of the materials used. Ballpark I would say around $1200 for a really good job.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LT1-DAN
It really depends on how much prep work is needed and the quality of the materials used. Ballpark I would say around $1200 for a really good job.
This is true..had a friends that needed a lot of work...ended up spending a little over a grand
Old 05-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02WS6speed

X2

$600 sounds about right only if all you gotta do is spray the back side and and prime and block the top surface. But if you have to do an extensive amount of filler work you will be looking at up wards of $200-300 more.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Raleigh TA
I got quotes this week for bumper cover and blending onto fenders and hood. $950-$1310. 2-stage process. I just can't believe what they get for paint and prep, but there seem to be many more hours of prep involved than I can understand. Some colors cost more than others, black is the cheapest.
damn thats pricey... i had my hood aligned, painted and installed plus a repaint of the roof behind the T-tops for $730

but then again, my car is black
Old 05-11-2008, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

I must add that my car is also black, so that is why I'm complaining about the price, it just seems like it's too much. I'm going to get another estimate on tuesday from another shop and I'll see what they say about it.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine is costing $850 for them to paint the top, bottom and align it perfectly. And thats with a discount they're pricey but they do a damn good job with my last two cars so I'd rather pay for perfection.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

i paid $300 for my hood... and he did a great job as well.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Fiberglass can be a bitch. It could take 40 hours or it could take 6. All depends on the quality and fit of the hood. My SLP Ultra Z hood cost me a small fortune and ending up cracking a couple of years later.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

OK, well I went and got another estimate today. This body shop spent a good 20 minutes inspecting the hood with their body guys to see what it would need. They pointed out things that I hadn't even noticed about the hood. Turns out the hood is really thin in some spots, so thin that I can press my fingertip against it and it will give almost an 1/8 of an inch. So they would be doing a lot of prep work to the hood before they paint it, but they really can't guarantee their work because of how cheap the hood was made(the thin fiberglass may cause bubbling which is they can't control). I agree with them on that part. So the quote I got was for $750, but my family has gotten work from them before and I will be getting it for a little under my other quote. So it looks like it will cost $600 to paint this hood and it could end up looking like crap in a year from now. I'm starting to think if I should just unload this hood to someone that wouldn't care about little imperfections and get a "real" hood.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

i agree with your last statement. i have a glasstek hood and its awesome quality in my opinion. vfn i hear both good and bad but i dont think with either company you can go wrong.

Quick Reply: How much should it cost to get a fiberglass hood painted?