Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Calipers

What is the correct way to remove the brake calipers for painting.. And what is the best way to paint them.. Thanks for you time and help...
Old 05-25-2008, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did all four at the same time, but if your pressed for time you can do just one at a time, but will be a pain cause you'll have to bleed four times.

First, disconnect the brake lines and let them hang and drain. Wrap the lines with a rag or something to keep any dirt from getting in the lines. Next, take the caliper's off along with the caliper brackets.

Cleaning: Everyone has their method, but I used simple green and then brake cleaner. Next, I took a dremel with a sandpaper bit and smoothed the the caliper's and brackets from any rough spots and smoothed the casting marks left from the factory. Next, I blew them off real good and cleaned them one more time.

Painting: I bought 3 cans of caliper paint 2 yellow and 1 black (for the brackets) and put 2 coats on each part. Let them dry really good before handling them. It will take about a week to cure fully, but I drove on them the next day since I finished the evening before and they are still looking good 2yrs later. Just clean with soap and water from time to time.

I'm sure there are some different way, but this is how I did mine since I had plenty of time to a little extra. Hope this helps you some or completely.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah, I used a bolt that is used to mount the battery cables to the battery. Went to advanced and bought two packs. They screwed in perfectly and sealed off where the brake lines go into the caliper.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

personally i would powdercoat it because its moer durable but if you looking to paint them the method above sounds good.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

I sandblasted mine then i sanded the mold marks off with a grinder, and then i just primered them with automotive primer sufacer, then lightly sanded them. After that i painted them red and threw three coats of clear. Still going strong. All automotive paint.

Quick Reply: Painting Calipers