Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 04-25-2016, 07:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Both of my side view mirror brackets are broken.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Both of my side view mirror brackets are broken.

I have both brackets on my 01 WS6 broken. One was done by my boy who was helping me wash the car. The other by some dumb *** in the parking lot while I was away. Both are broken in the same area as in the picture below. I tried to find replacement brackets but not luck. Many places told me I have to buy the whole mirror assembly which I don't need. Can this be welded? I'm going to try the JB Weld stuff to see if this works. My only concern is that this might be a temporary fix. Has anybody else dealt with this situation or am I the only one? If you have any other ideas or advice please let me know. Thanks in Advance
Old 05-31-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

JB Weld should work fine. It did on mine. Still on there after a few years.

Just be sure to:

-clean it very well
-make any part that you're 'welding' rough so that it has an area to bite in to - 80 grit or lower sand paper. It won't stick as well if the surface is smooth.
-don't be afraid to slather it on You can always sand off the extra.
-make sure you let it set for at least 24 hours. don't rush it, don't think after 4 hours "it must be solid now". Wait 24 hours.
-don't be afraid to embed some metal reinforcement inside the JB Weld itself. This can be strips of metal, etc. Anything across the break that can give it more strength. Run the metal at a 90 degree angle to the break and squish it in to the JB Weld.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:06 PM
Launching!

Damn and I just threw a right side one away the other day and the trash man already came. I woulda sent it to ya for free. But i'd say goto a junkyard and find some. I mean it's not like it's a mechanical part or something.

=\
Old 05-31-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It least it isn't gorilla glued on like my passenger mirror
Old 05-31-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Happened to my drivers side mirror a while back. I just went to the junkyard and got one for like $5. They're the same on Camaro's and Firebirds, so unless the junkyards near you have a short supply of these cars then it shouldn't be too hard to find one.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:32 AM
Teching In

The main problem is time. With my busy schedule I can barely find time to fix stuff around the house let alone fish a part at the junkyard. If I don't get called out (work) tomorrow I'll try the JB Weld. That ought to buy me sometime until I request a day off in the middle of the week to go looking.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Just don't use that "Mighty Putty" crap (my old mans a sucker for "as seen on TV" junk). I have tried it twice and it breaks off before i can screw the bracket back on. I will try JB Weld or just grab one from the junkyard.......good luck glad to see I am not the only one to try and fix it before they replaced it...
Old 06-04-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing happened to my driver's side mirror in the same place. I couldn't get JB Weld to stick on the little crease where it broke. So just made a little plate and drilled holes in it to connect it back to the car
Old 06-04-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the same thing happened to me on the driver's side driving down the interstate. I could only find the whole assembly which sucked! Didnt know about glueing it...but I also dont want it to come apart going 80-90 mph down the freeway and doing more damage.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have it on my Driver's side. Bought a used mirror and replaced only the barcket. 2 months later the same thing broken in the same place . This time I am going to try the JB Weld.

Last edited by 1CAMWNDR; 06-13-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:42 AM
TECH Resident

I bought a used mirror on here, and replaced the bracket on my driver's side

as far as getting the part, you could call RMS. they have a connection with delphi and can get parts which are normally only available in kits/whole parts

search emergency brake lever boots

they made them available for me when I called them; it took about two weeks
Old 06-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Well its been 4 days since I've fixed the broken brackets with JB Weld & there holding on good. It was a bit hard at first because the stuff was really soft so I waited about 2 hours so it can stiffen up a bit. Then I applied the the JB between the broken pieces & on one side only. The hard part is finding something to hold the 2 broken pieces until they were hard enough to let go. After I got tired I used a small needle nose vise grip to hold them until they dried well. After that I generously applied some more to the other end & tada no more broken mirrors. It took me 2 days to do this.

Thanks Camaroholic

Oh I also used industrial gauge staples straightened as my vise grip pinch point ( so that the vise grip won't get stuck the the JB stuff) and as a reinforcement to the JB.

Quick Reply: Both of my side view mirror brackets are broken.