Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

getting screwed??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First let me say that in no way should he be expecting for you to pay for work you did not tell him to do. I'm not sure how the laws are where you are but most places anytime the bill is going to be a certain percentage higher than the quoted mount and you have to give them a verbal and/or sign something.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Launching!

No way should you have to pay for the bumper. He wasn't doing you a favor. He pocketed money off the deal, that's not a favor. Working in the paint/body business, I can bet you he told his painter to go ahead and shoot the door, but forgot to mention not painting the bumper, although it was on the estimate. The painter shot the bumper, and now the owner is passing his screw up onto you.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i say you don't pay him for a few dayz, if you don't need your car and then call him and try to talk to him down on the payment pay him like $125 or something... or if you said they weren't noticable before and the bumper was a good shape i wouldn't pay him **** cuz you told him you didn't want it done!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

no way in hell i would pay him! thats bs. but i agree try to work him down on the price. like everyone says he probablly though he was going you a favor. normally out shop charges about 350 to repair and paint bumpers. he gave you a good deal if you ask me. he probablly figured that 200 isnt gunna be a big deal for painting it and you would be happy that he did it for you. but again i dotn think he should have painted it without permission. normally all my shop does is buff out somet stuff as common courtesy and we dont charge for that. oh and for the extra price its probablly tax and storage fees. i know if finished cars at my shop are not picked up within 7 days of being finish its 50 a day outside and 75 a day inside.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

just go down there and throw a bitch fit to the manager... anyways shouldnt your insurance pay for any amount higher than the estimated cost of the repair?? i know mine paid an extra $600 because they ended up trashing my bumper, i didnt have to pay a dime above my deductable. i would take it up with your agent.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well it's a two man shop and one of the guys is a good friend. Yeah the owner didn’t tell my friend I didn't want the bumper painted. He talked to me about it when I went to pick up the car, and told me that his main reason for painting it was because it looked like **** (in his opinion) against the newly painted bumper and so he (the owner) made the choice.

There were no repairs made to it because it didn’t need any. He just painted it.

I gave him $1,150 in cash witch he stuck in his pocket then I had to write a check for $364 and I just made it out to the shop. Well he got pissed about that because then he had to mess with taxes. I wanted a receipt so he just used the 364 for a receipt and said all he did was fix the door... he's not going to get my car again. He did a good job all in all but who knows next time I might end up with a whole now paint job
Old 06-17-2008, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
just go down there and throw a bitch fit to the manager... anyways shouldnt your insurance pay for any amount higher than the estimated cost of the repair?? i know mine paid an extra $600 because they ended up trashing my bumper, i didnt have to pay a dime above my deductable. i would take it up with your agent.
no because I had him fix the door on the other side of where the damage was. I was using the money from the rear bumper to pay for the door. So thats why this was such a pain in the ***. As far as throwing a bitch fit I have been talking to the owner the whole time. So it wouldn't do any good. He thinks he shouls be getting paid more.

For just the quarter panel and rear bumper I got an insurance quote for $1,086
The place I took it to quoted me around $1,800 thats why he thinks I should paid even more.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:38 AM
TECH Resident

I understand u didnt ask him to do it and that was wrong but look on the bright side. 200 dollars is pretty cheap to paint a bumper.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You let them screw you. That sucks. Why did you still end up paying over 1500? Well next time you know to get everything in writing.