Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

fitting a VFN sunoco hood ?'s`

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 04:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fitting a VFN sunoco hood ?'s`

I am having a few issues with fitting my VFN Sunoco hood. The hood is pin on only and has no provisions to be a bolt on deal..... Superlight and a pretty much drag only piece for very occasional street use from the way it looks...

Does not have a 90 degree ridge on the side so it's simply a flat hood. I'm doing the whole hood with dzus fasteners... My plan was 5 up each side and 3 in the front.... The problem i'm having is getting the dzus plates to hold using steel rivets thru the fiberglass nose piece.... I don't trust three plates to hold the hood down doing 150+ in the 1/4 mile!!!! I would if they were riveted thru steel but this is thin fiberglass.. I have some ideas but wanted to hear what you guys are doing with the same hoods with or without dzus fasteners..... PICS are also greatly encouraged....

I'm thinking about fabbing a rail front and back that I can drill thru and rivet thru the steel front and back to support the rivets and the plate itself... Figured the only way to do it would be to strengthen the thin *** fiberglass by use of a metal rail kinda like an oil pan rail idea..

I've seen others like the guy in the GMHighTech mag with the red LS1 car with the 6" sunoco hood (i think he posts on here) and it looks like he did a rail that is angled and the hood actually slides underneath it to lock it in place. He used NO dzus fasteners up front at all.... And wormboy I know has dzus up front just unsure of exactly where... TIA!
Old 06-25-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well those are the fasteners that VFN recommends, and I have NEVER heard of any issues using them. I would say you will be fine. Those hoods are really tough man.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:23 PM
9 Second Club

yeah i'm not worried about the fasteners i'm more worried about what the fasteners are fastened TO.... I don't think the fiberglass of the nose is strong enough to hold even though the brackets are held with three rivets a piece....
Old 06-25-2008, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

I'm not totally sure what you are talking about, but I used 4 down each side, 4 across the front, and two in the rear. I also used metal backing plates from jegs for rear support. Here is my thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/939613-vfn-4-pin-hood-cowl.html
Not sure if this helps or not, but here goes.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:58 AM
9 Second Club

I'm going to end up with like 5 or 6 down each side....

the issue i'm talking about is the front. Keep in mind this is on an LT1 so the nose might be slightly different. There is a small rail on the nose itself where I can mount the 90 degree backing plates for the dzus fasteners.... however the mounting surface is pretty chincy fiberglass and i'm worried about the rivets just pulling out at speed and ripping my hood off..... So I was going to fab up a rail so that it supports the rivets front and back to keep them from tearing thru the fiberglass....
Old 06-26-2008, 11:45 AM
9 Second Club

Hey DJ your post helped out a bunch. I see how you did your front brackets and I LIKE it..... I need to do a few "L" brackets like you did on the bottom of my dzus plates and that should fix me up..... thanks for the link to the post...
Old 06-26-2008, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

No problem, glad I could help!

Quick Reply: fitting a VFN sunoco hood ?'s`