Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need advice. My painter sucks balls

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

UPDATE:

Nobody wants to touch my car now and risk their reputation. Even if I pay them straight up. Im looking for an attorney now.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabian
UPDATE:

Nobody wants to touch my car now and risk their reputation. Even if I pay them straight up. Im looking for an attorney now.
Like I said.. EVERYTHING they fucked up should be $$$ in your pocket. Leave nothing out.

Go to 3 well known & reputable shops in your area and have them give you a quote to fix what they fucked up. Spread the word around town and on forums. I saved many people the time and effort dealing with the local body shop that fucked me over.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

- Mike
Old 07-12-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think i couldve done a better job with rattle cans
Old 07-12-2008, 07:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i know they wont be getting any LS1's to paint any time soon now since the cat is out of the hat, a bad shop like that dosnt deserve to stay open to screw another person over.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Thats the thing. I cant even get quotes because no other shop wants to have their work mixed with the shitty shop. They want nothing to do with my car now, even if I got new fenders, hood and front end. I went to the original shop yesterday and the dude (manager wasnt there) tells me "this is very minor" "Its no big deal" blah blah. ****** dumbass.

Im waiting for two attorneys to give me a call back. They both said it sounds like I have an easy case but I got to them kind of late yesterday and they cant set up an appointment until Monday.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get three quotes from Custom paint shops where complete car tear down is the norm. Your quote will include taking your paint all the way down with all removable body panels taken off the car. Those are the only places you should be getting quotes from. As far as over spray from the original numb nuts that painted your car I would take to a well known detailer in your area. Oh, and by the way I'm pretty sure the bill will be on numb nuts.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by onebad03
i work at a shop and do work on the side and nothing i touch would ever leave like that. im with everybody else on this one, you should do anything you can on your own and lawyer up if you have to.
This type of problem is more common than you think; especially with collision shops who don't do custom work. Usually no one takes the time to thoroughly inspect the repair work and just assumes it good.

I've had paint work done on my TA twice; both by "reputable" shops who came highly recommended. Both sucked. I had other problems with different vehicles so I never assume anything when dealing with body shops. IF I ever had paint or body work done again, I'm bringing a creeper and a jack to look under the car. To anyone else looking to get paint or body work done, always, always inspect the entire vehicle before you drive off regardless of the reputation of the shop.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Launching!

damn your **** is fucked up
Old 07-14-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

That's just pure evil. I can't wait till my husband can take a look at those pics. This is his line of work. How can someone send that out with their name on it? It's what either will keep your business or loose it. He lost it!
Old 07-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Please don't jump all over me for the questions but I have to ask. Then I'll tell you why I asked.

What were you quoted to do the job and what was initially involved? What were your expectations of the job and what did you expect the shop to do?

Here is why I ask. I get this **** all the time. I'll get a customer that comes to my shop and wants a quote to paint a car. After I tell him all the details of what we'll do and give them a price range to compensate for the unseens, most of them walk. But not before telling me how they know a guy that will do it for a 1/4 what I charge. That in itself is OK, but the thing that chaps my *** is that, I cannot tell you how many of those customers come back and ask me to fix the fuc$ked up job they got at another shop. I then proceed to give them the a price near double to undo what was done and do it right.

I am not saying that is the case with your story, but I am just generally interested in what the deal entailed from the start. Either way I hope things work out for you.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pearceleather, do you do custom repaints or autobody collision work mostly?
typically, do you see results as horrible as this come out of other shops on a regular basis? i totally feel you on the fixing ***** up, it can suck but its usually a great money maker for me. of course, those people probably want you to do the job for the original quoted price too right? sorry for the thread hijack OP, i wish you the best of luck getting this fixed right
Old 07-14-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't know what he was quoted but what ever it was massive overspray should not be included. There is no excuse for that from any shop.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol i threw in the overspray for free, what a guy.

i think some time at a detailer might get the car looking pretty good, but that hood, bumper and fenders should probably be resprayed correctly ON THEIR DIME. basically as Drk Phx said it best "always, always inspect the entire vehicle before you drive off regardless of the reputation of the shop" hopefully at least youll find a good local body guy out of this nightmare
Old 07-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by subarubill96
pearceleather, do you do custom repaints or autobody collision work mostly?
typically, do you see results as horrible as this come out of other shops on a regular basis? i totally feel you on the fixing ***** up, it can suck but its usually a great money maker for me. of course, those people probably want you to do the job for the original quoted price too right? sorry for the thread hijack OP, i wish you the best of luck getting this fixed right
I do mostly custom full paint jobs. I am not a great painter, so matching panel work and things of that sort are a bit past my expertise.
The other thing that I think this guy is running into is that, if another shop takes on this car, which doesn't seem to be a big deal to do right, how picky is he going to be after they fix it? While he picked the car up from the first painter in shambles, he'smore likely to go over hte car with a fine tooth comb now. Putting the new paint shop at risk of losing time and or money in the end.

As far as what I get, Let's put it this way, in the last week, I've had a 64 Impala, 69 chevelle and a 2006 mustang come through. All have been painted and all are terrible. From orange peel so bad that it has the texture of a cinder block. To a scoop that was installed and just mudded on with bondo, instead of an 8115 or proper product, so it's cracking and splitting all over.

Originally Posted by Iron Head
Don't know what he was quoted but what ever it was massive overspray should not be included. There is no excuse for that from any shop.
Certainly, BUT, if he paid $100, then there is no way that as a customer ou can expect it to be right, let alone good.
These shops stay in business because all to often the customer really is only concerned about cost and not quality. Hello Maaco, new and shiny

Again no matter the situation, it sucks.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pearceleather
Certainly, BUT, if he paid $100, then there is no way that as a customer ou can expect it to be right, let alone good.
These shops stay in business because all to often the customer really is only concerned about cost and not quality. Hello Maaco, new and shiny

Again no matter the situation, it sucks.
Not saying all cleap paint shops are good, but there are some awesome paint shops out there that will do it cheaply. I think that some painters out there are charging way too much and could do it for half the price and still make out just fine.

I went to a big collision shop (the one that I stated above that fucked with me) and they would have charged me $3700 to get my whole car repainted . Needless to say, I didnt want to pay more to paint the car than what it was worth (94 V6 Camaro ) just to paint it. So I told them that I only wanted them to paint the bumper, hood, both front fenders, and match it into the door, and they told me it would cost $1,600.

So, I went to another shop that wasnt as well known but I checked out their shop and some of their projects. Looked 2X better than the ******* that worked at that dumb ******* paint shop that fucked with me, and was less than half the price. They got it done in 4 days, and it looked awesome. Pretty much my whole car was repainted but the roof, and I was charged $1,400. He said he would have charged $250 to paint but it wasnt needed. He also went out of his way to fix some dents and make it look right.

Heres my proof, Pics were taken 2 days after I got it back:

Sorry for the , but I just had to stand up for the little shops that dont charge as much, but still do an outstanding job.

Hear me out though.. NOT all small shops are like that, and some will do bad work.. But there are some out there that will do good work and wont charge you a lot. Do your research and see some of their other cars that they painted. I looked at every car at their shop and inspected it to see their work. Looked great, so I had them paint it. If I saw shitty work, I would have went somewhere else.

- Mike

Last edited by Camaro_94; 07-14-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:23 AM
TECH Resident

**** i had the same problem, i took my car to a place to get my back end fixed, get the car back with a million codes thrown and a bunch of scratches and chips in the NEW bumper and repainted quaters. went down there and bitched nicely and they fixed everything. however it seems like alot of shops are like this... send me a pm if you want some pics... hate to say it but its not uncommon
Old 07-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

This looks like a guy from autozone or walmart might have done this. It was not from a collision shop or a body shop. I have never in my life seen this done, even from the shitiest shops around. The front ( quarter panel)remark just about gives it away. You probably got what you payed for , sorry to say.

Quick Reply: Need advice. My painter sucks balls