Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Question for Painters (color matching rear camaro panel!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008 | 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Default Question for Painters (color matching rear camaro panel!)

i was in a car acsident a couple months ago and desided to go ahead and get the whole car painted! its still going to be artic white! but its also going to have a purple pearl!!! the car is already painted and there just putting it together! and then they need tu buff it, glaze it and wax it!! but i noticed in the rear part of the car on the body part that says (CAMARO) that it has a little yelowish tone to it and also the gas cap! its not alot but i can tell a difference! i asked the body shop guy about this and he said its because that panel is made of a certain material and he needs to add a spesial mix to the paint so that it doesnt crack or something like that! IS THIS TRUE? or is he messing with me? he said that the lighter the car is the more youd be able to tell! he also mentiond that you can notice these diferences on new cars at the dealer! and about 3 years ago i was in another acsident where some lady rear ended me! and i remember i had the same problem with that panel looking alittle yelowish! and that other bodyshop told me the exact same thing about having to add some special mixture to the paint! the reason im having such a big problem with this is that before all these acsidents i dont remember my car with that yelowish tint on the rear! or could it be that i just never paid atention to it? help me out guys thanks!!!
Old 08-12-2008 | 11:01 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Were both those pieces painted off the car? Extra application of the pearl coat gives white a milky yellow tint.
Old 08-13-2008 | 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

^^^ yep could have said it better. also isnt the gas cap metal there being the same as the quarter?
Old 08-13-2008 | 08:52 AM
On The Tree

yes, both times they where painted of the car!! but the first time i was rear ended i did not get a pearl paint job! and that back (CAMARO) panel still had a yellowish tint to it even though there was no pearl at all! now that the whole car has a pearl everything still matches but that rear panel and tha gas cap! whats wierd is that both these shops have given me the same story about the rear panel and i want to know if its true that you have to add something to that panel to prevent stuff from hapening to the paint! i will speak up to him about the gas cap i know for sure that matched! i also know that if you add pearl to white it give it a mily yelowish tone but if im getting the whole car painted like that then it should all still match! I need your help guys! if what this body shop is telling me is true then that means he desided to paint the gas cap with the paint he should have only used on the (CAMARO) panel! and i will make him paint that again! but what if i make him paint the (CAMARO) panel again and it comes out the same? thats why i need your guys help! have any of you experiaced this or know what im talking about? and if so is it true or not? thanks guys
Old 08-13-2008 | 10:39 AM
Teching In

your painter is extremely correct. go to your local dealership and look at the differance of the paint on the body of the car vs. the plastic front and rear bumper covers etc. you have to look for it and have optimum lighting to notice it. usually only the trained eye or someone who knows what theyre looking for will notice it. that's how subtle it can be. As for the gas door, the material should be the same metal as the quarters, but who knows, it could have been unbolted and laying aside and they forgot to spray it until they did the bumper and used whatever was leftover in the paint gun to quickly spray the gas door. but flex additive will slightly alter the color, especially on white. And you need to use flex additive especially on flexible plastic panels like the bumper covers to prevent eggshell like and spider web cracking. Depending on how much your paying, i wouldn't get too picky. nothing worse then pissing off the person who has your car in their hands.
Old 08-13-2008 | 03:49 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Pearl colors have a side cast to them. Most of the time it is a yellowish color. Trans am is correct different additives can alter color and so can air pressure.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-13-2008 | 10:54 PM
Launching!

you sure do seem excited

Quick Reply: Question for Painters (color matching rear camaro panel!)