Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

My car got keyed. Any idea if this amount will total it

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 01:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your insurance not cover you for glass replacement? I'm sure there's probably plenty of people still got a set of headlights hanging around in the parts classifieds! Would your insurance also not pay out if you could find a body shop that would respray the car for less & give them the quote.
I've got some turn signals I'll ship you for free! I ain't usin em.
Thank you very much. Right now nothing has been declined i'm still waiting to hear. I just hope they dont just decide to total it out instead of paying for it. We'll see what happens and i'll be sure to post it. I'll try to post up some pics for everyone too. Thanks again everyone
Old 09-03-2008, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

The insurance called and talked to my fiance and said that an adjuster would be out friday. He said something about the possibility of it being totaled and she made it clear that we didnt want it totaled. He said that wasn't up to him. My question now is right now my quote from the autobody shop is right on the line of the %70. When the adjuster comes out usually they give a lower estimate from what i've been told. Does anyone know which estimate they'll go by to compare to the %70. If he gives a lower estimate it should be under the %70 and hopefully not totaled. I'm gettin worried. I have over 7k in mods alone invested in this car and i still owe 5k. I'm unsure about gap insurance. Does anyone know what salvage value is? Thanks
Old 09-03-2008, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they will go off of the adjusted estimate, and i'm sure they will lower it, but if they total it buy it back, they will then give you a check for the difference.
buy back is usually very reasonable.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kkslds
The insurance called and talked to my fiance and said that an adjuster would be out friday. He said something about the possibility of it being totaled and she made it clear that we didnt want it totaled. He said that wasn't up to him. My question now is right now my quote from the autobody shop is right on the line of the %70. When the adjuster comes out usually they give a lower estimate from what i've been told. Does anyone know which estimate they'll go by to compare to the %70. If he gives a lower estimate it should be under the %70 and hopefully not totaled. I'm gettin worried. I have over 7k in mods alone invested in this car and i still owe 5k. I'm unsure about gap insurance. Does anyone know what salvage value is? Thanks
Don't sweat it yet, wait until he comes out and writes his sheet. Just make sure that he gets an agreed price with your body shop or YOU make sure they can do it for the amount of the appraiser's estimate. Like I said, just relax, don't worry about it being a total loss, don't worry about gap insurance(which wouldn't even apply to you since you owe less than what it's worth).

Just remember, there's ALWAYS fat in a shop's estimate, they'll have some wiggle room to get the price to where it needs to be. Just make sure the shop and the appraiser know you really really want your car fixed.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

before they would even think about totaling my car ( which is bullshit for paint anyways) I would buy some body filler (if the scratches were so deep it dented) , some sandpaper and some primer and start looking for glass and headlights and fix it my damn self. Oh, I would find a new insurance company also.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man this same thing happened to me and i have State Farm. My whole car was keyed. I have the Camaro in the Sig. I think the value of the car was like around 5,500 and the claims adjuster came out and i spoke with her and she worked with me to keep it under so my car wasnt totaled. they were very helpful and i got a check for like 3500 dollars. I am sure they will be pretty cool about it. They dont really want to total your car for being keyed trust me. you will be fine!! I know how you feel man it sucks i was so Freaking Pissed!!
Old 09-06-2008, 12:06 PM
12 Second Club

Its goin in the shop monday. They decided to fix it. It was close though.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 09-06-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Old 09-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

sounds like u someone needs to quit messin with the lil slow ricers i had the same problem.. car got paintballed numerous times and driver side door got kicked or punched not sure.. but had spider cracks like mad.. found out after 2 weeks of dealing with it.. was a highschooler in a civic that i raced and pissed off before lol... sorry to hear bout this, wish u best of luck
Old 09-06-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

glad to hear they are going to fix it
Old 09-06-2008, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

Its goin in the shop monday. They decided to fix it. It was close though.
Glad to hear it man . What did their appraiser come up with as far as a total figure?
Old 09-06-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad to hear it, man. The insurance companies are fine and dandy when they can just total a car and move on. But, when a client (you) takes the time to invest in the vehicle, and do some of the price shopping for them (e.g. going on ebay for cheaper prices for parts) they're less inclined to total the car and go forward with any repairs. Unfortunately, and I've personally seen this happen, this happens a lot to females. They figure usually the woman just wants to get a replacement vehicle and be done with it. But there are women out there who actually like the car they drive, and would rather not part with it. A similar thing happened to my mom; she did not want a little fender-bender to result in her anniversary-edition Camaro being totaled/salvaged. She fought back, did her homework, and had the insurance company repair her car with no salvage title.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

****** insurance is gay. To even potentially total the car over paint is absurd.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:05 PM
12 Second Club

It's all about the bottom line.

So if his car was worth $3K and it cost $5K to repaint the car why would the insurance company dump $5K into a shitbox?
Old 09-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Self-Admitted Scammer

Well, this car isnt a shitbox...and if i was the adjuster i wouldve def fixed it for sure. glad they did
Old 09-06-2008, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

I was making the point that it's all about the value of the car and the cost of the repair...they have guidelines they go by.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

atleast your getting the car you love repaired. do you got any pics of the damage
Old 09-07-2008, 02:54 AM
12 Second Club

Its been raining. I'll get some up soon. The adjuster came out while i was at work. I didnt even get to talk to her. I got a call sayin we'd have a check in the mail.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Well good for you.. let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: My car got keyed. Any idea if this amount will total it