Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How much to paint my whole car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I think the most important part of the pricing has to do with the condition of the cars body. When I went to get a pricing at a local place they told me $2,200. My brother got a car painted at another shop where friends and family had been before with amazing results. He paid about $4k or more and the paint is peeling after about 1 year. Don't know if he didn't take care of it or whatever happened but sometimes you don't always get what you pay for.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much just to paint the front end stopping at the doors
Old 05-08-2009, 02:40 PM
12 Second Club

Prepping is HUGE! Its all in the preparation. Even if the painter sucks you can always wetsand and buff the car afterwards.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

its all about who you know man to get a good deal. One of my best friends dad owns a very well respected body shop. Hes allowing me to use his shop to do all the prepping myself and the painters will guide me through all the steps. All they are doing is spraying and its gonna cost around $800 with lifetime warranty. This is painting the entire car hot rod black (flat), except for under the hood which I will do on my own time. So all im paying for is labor and materials which materials I get at cost from them and labor is discounted.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Teching In

I love reading threads like this. When you make a comment like Maaco buys paint in 55 gallon drums, it just shows how uninformed you actually are. Maaco centers, for the vast majority use either, PPG, DuPont or Sherwin Williams products. Last time I placed an order, I didn't see a 55 gallon drum as an option. My shop has always been a chain leader and puts out some very nice paint work. Now do some Maaco centers do crappy work. Of course they do. If the manager doesn't care, or the owner too for that matter, then you're taking chances. But what most of you don't understand, that's the same everywhere. Whether it's a body shop, restaurant or a mechanical shop. You can't say all Maaco centers are bad and everyone one else is great. You know full well, that's not the case. You're as likely to get a bad job at an independent shop as you are a Maaco.

And if you think it really COSTS 3 grand or more for a paint job you're fooling yourself. You would be amazed how much profit you're giving that shop at those rates. AND, what if someone scratches that $3K paint job, or it gets hit or stolen. Or even God forbid, even a stone chip! How smart of an investment was that then?!

Then you have to ask yourselves, do I WANT a $3K paint or do I NEED it? While I do some very nice work, I also do a fair amount of run of the mill paint jobs. Do you really need all the mouldings and lamps removed? But if you feel the need to pay 3 grand or more for a paint job, great. Just remember, Maaco isn't going after that market. Maaco paint jobs fit the bill for the vast majority of our customers. I've had cars win shows and in magazines. While I know all Maaco centers don't pay as much attention to quality as we do, a lot do. You can't label all Maaco's the same. I use the McDonalds analogy. If you go to one McD's and have a bad experience, you'll go to another one sooner or later.

Here's a shot of my 99 Hugger Orange Z28. And this is a typical Polyurethane with a full clear. That would retail around $1200 with the stripes.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

3 grand
Old 06-15-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by maacodale
While I know all Maaco centers don't pay as much attention to quality as we do, a lot do. You can't label all Maaco's the same. I use the McDonalds analogy. If you go to one McD's and have a bad experience, you'll go to another one sooner or later.
Since it seems like it's hit and miss with MAACO, I'd be willing to give one a try. Give us some tips on how to ask the right questions and have the right conversation with the MAACO guys so we are all better prepared. I'm on the northwest side of chicago and want a color change...
Old 06-15-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by merim123
Since it seems like it's hit and miss with MAACO, I'd be willing to give one a try. Give us some tips on how to ask the right questions and have the right conversation with the MAACO guys so we are all better prepared. I'm on the northwest side of chicago and want a color change...
X2 I've always wanted a paint change... but i don't think i can ever afford it
Old 06-16-2009, 07:51 AM
Teching In

In my opinion, look at some of their finished work. If you like the way they look, chances are, yours will turn out the same. Make sure you tell them what you're looking for.

If someone comes to my shop and tells me point blank he wants show quality, I'll gladly send him to a couple of other local shops. Then we'll talk and if that really is what they're looking for I'll wish them well and part friends. Most of the time, once they get the other price, their thinking comes back to reality.

Some times my shop looks like a tornado went through it, being a production shop, we put a lot of cars through and occasionally sweeping takes a back seat for a couple of hours in the prep line and body shop. So don't always let appearance dictate things.

Also, call the BBB. We have a great rating with them and I even have some customers come to me because of that. Generally, if someone takes the time and money to be a BBB member, it is a good sign.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

3500, you dont have the money and you are not going to get your car painted. So why bother us. My time is worth more then your bullshit.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chaman
No, your not. Its all a matter of pulling the right connections, having certaing friends...etc. You can get a very nice paint job for $3000.....
I agree, like just about everything in life, It all depends on who you know. I bought my 4th Trans Am about 7 months ago. My latest addition to the family is a Black 2002 Trans Am WS6 w/ 38,000 miles. I see at least 2 black Trans Am WS6's(some just have the ram air hood) just about every day I go out. My car is going into the paint booth at my buddies paint booth. I'm paying less than 1500 for a 7,000 paint job. The materials alone are around 1,000. I am going to put his business name and phone # across the top of my back window and my car is going to be on his business cards w/ his bike. He's been painting for quite a few years but he's got a full time job so he's got people waiting for weeks to get a spot to get a spot to get their car, truck or bike painted. We were going to go with the 9 color True Flames and ordered the kit with 8 paint guns, then we thought we might go Blue Flames but we came across a color from Matrix Paints. It's one of their FX candies, which he is also very good at. Pics should be up next week.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

tell me if you get a good price and let me know how it comes out... im bored with white
Old 06-17-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
tell me if you get a good price and let me know how it comes out... im bored with white
i did some checking last night, maaco in schaumburg has a a- rating on bbb. i'll try to get over there in the next few weeks and talk to them.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:16 AM
TECH Resident

i did some checking last night, maaco in schaumburg has a a- rating on bbb. i'll try to get over there in the next few weeks and talk to them.
yea let me know
Old 06-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

My uncle owns a auto body shop and a very good one at that. He told me 2000 since family but for a good job to anyone 3000-4500.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

We are a small paint and body operation. We do full custom, restoration, and production body work and paint. Your question, as a lot of people here have already stated is "how nice of a car do you really want?" The kind of intricate work, parts restoration, and prep that go into a real show quality job is staggering to the average guy. The prep work is 90 percent of the job. And anything that is left to chance will usually show up in the finished product. This is where your $3k+ is going.
The Maaco here does a lot of "scratch and shoots" for under $600. For that amount and the short turn around time involved, you can expect to see some imperfections under the new paint. Most people who pay this can live with these results.
The average $3k and up paint job involves lots of massaging of panels (complete removal of bad finishes, welding, lead work, straightening, etc.), removing everything that isn't getting painted, removing bumpers and such that would otherwise not get completely painted, and 100%ing your prep work. The latter means completely removing dirt, old wax, grease and etc. that would otherwise ruin your final product. Our shop completely disassembles doors, hinges, etc. to insure 100% prep & coverage. The paint work is cured by baking process and then color sanded & buffed to eliminate any ufo's, orange peel, or runs -should there be any. If the work doesn't pass the boss' inspection it is removed and refinished. This is because we unconditionally guarantee our work and the final product.
All this work and prep require a LOT of time and a LOT of work. But it is the only way to insure a top notch end result. Anyone who tells you any different is either lying or doesn't know what they are talking about.
We use everything from Omni products, to PPG, to Sikkens. One of my personal favorites is the Alsa Corp. product line. But we always ask the customer what they are comfortable with going on their vehicle and include several product options in the estimate. With the longer term custom projects, customers are even allowed to visit the shop and take pictures as thier vehicles are restored and finished.
It is very difficult (often impossible) to match and blend damaged chameleon and candy colors on cars. Sticking with stock numbered dual stage paint colors is usually best for daily driven cars. But don't be sad. Some of the best award winning paint work has been with stock numbered two stage paints. The quality of the paint itself is where the money comes in. The highest luster paint is often not the most durable and vice versa. Obtaining paint that is both is a pricey proposition.
It is possible to reduce your costs by prepping your own car for paint. A lot of custom painters won't paint cars that they do not personally do the body work and prep on. This is because they cannot guarantee the final results. Body work, dispite what a lot of people believe, is not a science. It is still an art. Modern power tools have made it easier and faster. But the end result is still always dictated by the skill of the artisan.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

4000 easy, for a decent paint job with minor body work. Dont worry about how much, but how good a job you will get. Stay away from Black and Red, to save money also. Good luck, post pics when its done.

Quick Reply: How much to paint my whole car?