Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Lowest Trans Am in the World - Radical Thinkers Only!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope you radical thinkers are 5'6 and shorter it looks cool but I can't relate to the chop since I need all the head room I can get. Also will the seats need to be lower to the floor as well.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6Jim
Hope you radical thinkers are 5'6 and shorter it looks cool but I can't relate to the chop since I need all the head room I can get. Also will the seats need to be lower to the floor as well.
Ha, ha. You didn't do the measuring did you? I'm 5 10" and can fit with that chop. Keep in mind the roof will not be several inches thick, but only a thin layer of fiberglass right above your head. The seat will have to stay where it is as the floor is rasied up. It should be fine.

Actually, the hardest thing to squeeze in the car is the engine itself. I will move it and the K-member up 2". That's about all the room you have without converting to a dry sump and a small diameter flywheel/clutch assembly.

Last edited by JasonWW; 09-28-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

Make sure you add longtubes also. lol. But seriously I believe it would have a lot more potential if you went with a front more similar to stock, doesn't have to be completely stock, but they did make the stock fronts how they are for a reason......because it flows well with the rest of the body. As all manufacturers do. A Ferrari has a badass front end because it matches the rest of the car, whereas in this situation it does not flow with the TA body style. Just A Thought!!! Good Luck!!
Old 09-28-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WS6R6
Make sure you add longtubes also. lol. But seriously I believe it would have a lot more potential if you went with a front more similar to stock, doesn't have to be completely stock, but they did make the stock fronts how they are for a reason......because it flows well with the rest of the body. As all manufacturers do. A Ferrari has a badass front end because it matches the rest of the car, whereas in this situation it does not flow with the TA body style. Just A Thought!!! Good Luck!!
The exhaust will be tricky. I may end up making some custom long tubes or maybe adapt some vette headers. As a last resort I will use Mac midlengths. I have a few ideas, including mounting some cats and mufflers in front of the engine.

I need to swap the front end due to converting the car to a front breather, plus I don't like how tall the stock nose is along the bottom edge.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

have you EVER finished anything before? ive seen so many posts by you with your ideas but never a finished product.lol
Old 09-28-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by x2jesse1x
have you EVER finished anything before? ive seen so many posts by you with your ideas but never a finished product.lol
This question has nothing to do with this thread.
Check my sig for some ideas that were good enough to actually do.

This project is actually a culmination of several smaller ideas. Without them, this project would not be possible. Things such as converting to a short spindle is what will keep the spindles from poking up through the hood. Converting to a solid frame and adding the independant rear suspension also makes this radical lowering possible. The choptop is a project I already explored in much detail and figured out that it's possible to do.

Last edited by JasonWW; 09-28-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

I think it looks good. Have you thought about the headlights that are fixed in place and don't open, I forget what they are called, or grafting some c6 headlights instead.

Also did you get your front end idea from this car or do you just think alot like them.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

just do it. i wanna see it done. how long will it take?
Old 09-28-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01ws6450hp
I think it looks good. Have you thought about the headlights that are fixed in place and don't open, I forget what they are called, or grafting some c6 headlights instead.

Also did you get your front end idea from this car or do you just think alot like them.
I'm already building some fixed headlights. I got some E46 bi-xenon projectors.

I can't remember if I thought about smoothing out the nose before or after I saw that car. That was like 4 years ago.
Originally Posted by SSIRBY
just do it. i wanna see it done. how long will it take?
Uh, a long time. I figure at least a year or two. I'm going to build a seperate chassis and assuming I do finish it, I'll transfer all my good parts over to the new chassis.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

I'm interested in seeing the final product.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

old skool is the best skool, this is classic old skool rod building, and i like the way you think, chopped top, sectioned body, absoulty love it, to bad my buddy isnt doing the air ride site no more he could have gave you an awesome deal
if you do compressor systems do air ride tech stuff, thats all i use, my olds uses air ride tech, bullet proof products
Old 09-28-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm trying to determine if the final product is worth the work.

I'm about 95% sure it can be done. The main issue is whether I can get the engine squeezed in there. Most super low cars mount the engine in the rear overwise it can be hard to see over. You almost never see a front engine car this low. Luckily the the LS1 is a pretty short engine. Does anyone have any advice on this? Maybe a shorter intake or maybe a C5 oil pan to squeek out a bit more room? Moving the engine back a little also comes to mind. I'll probably move the climate control gear into the back limo style.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bdyman
old skool is the best skool, this is classic old skool rod building, and i like the way you think, chopped top, sectioned body, absoulty love it,
Yep, a lot of folks don't even know about these techniques. I'm going to section it my removing a couple of inches off the botton of the doors and then raise the side skirt up to the level of the front and rear bumper covers. The entire floor will be new. I also have one other trick up my sleeve to widen the rear of the car for that fat Lambo look, but I'm not sure about that one yet.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Launching!

Motor plates will allow you to move the engine around in the bay more easily than using the k member with motor mounts. Go turbo! A fmic would look nice in that bumper and you can use truck manifolds and not have to worry about fitting the long tubes.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Addict

i htink the chopped top makes the rear end look even fatter...but i wanna see it done so do it.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by realmendrivev8s
Motor plates will allow you to move the engine around in the bay more easily than using the k member with motor mounts. Go turbo! A fmic would look nice in that bumper and you can use truck manifolds and not have to worry about fitting the long tubes.
I'm going to disagree with everything you said. No offense.

The K-member has to go up along with the engine, no way around that.
My A/C condenser will look a lot like a FMIC.
No money for turbo.
Truck manifolds will not fit without loosing the A/C and relocating the alternator. I don't want to do either.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

I forgot that the first pic was tilted to give it some rake. That's killing me on squeezing the engine into place.

Here is one with the car level and the wheel wells raised. I also smoothed out the roof.

Last edited by JasonWW; 09-29-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here is a pic similar to the first one, but the car is more level and the wheel wells have been raised. This would be more accurate as to how it would actually be finished and be drivable. Do you guys think 3" of travel and clearance would be enough? This car would no longer be a daily driver plus I can still hit the switchs to lift it up another 3" for obstacles and steep drivaways.

Last edited by JasonWW; 09-29-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a guy on here that had bagged a Camaro. It is most likley what you are after. The bottom of the car sat on the ground. The front shock towers were a master piece. I will see if I can find it for you.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RsSean
There was a guy on here that had bagged a Camaro. It is most likley what you are after. The bottom of the car sat on the ground. The front shock towers were a master piece. I will see if I can find it for you.
Are you thinking of Kenny (slammed1500)? His camaro is gold.

Quick Reply: Lowest Trans Am in the World - Radical Thinkers Only!!