Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Lowest Trans Am in the World - Radical Thinkers Only!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id drive it .....do it NOW!!!!!
Old 09-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Teching In

i think that this is a great idea. i've always thought about what a chopped top t/a would look like but i'm not that good with photoshop. also if you do make this you could end up selling a chop top conversion kit or something along those lines because im pretty sure that once people see the final product they might want to go towards the same route. i know i would love to see the end result and probably if you do end up selling it i would be very interested in buying something like that. mainly i would like it because it pisses me off how my car is as low from the ground as my dad's 1990 ferrari testarossa but it is so much shorter and i like the look but could never achieve it.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineT/A
if you do make this you could end up selling a chop top conversion kit or something along those lines because im pretty sure that once people see the final product they might want to go towards the same route.
You are getting WAAY ahead of yourself. He already said its going to take years to complete, let alone make a kit for everyone else.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:59 PM
10 Second Club

Definately not a good idea for a tall guy. Heck i'm only 6' 1" and I feel cramped with the head room I have stock. Good luck on the build tho and if thats what your into then go for it.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

Its not a bad idea, makes those wheels look huge.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:07 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the idea. Good luck with it. I debate back and forth with dropping my car another inch or so front and rear.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineT/A
i think that this is a great idea. i've always thought about what a chopped top t/a would look like but i'm not that good with photoshop. also if you do make this you could end up selling a chop top conversion kit or something along those lines because im pretty sure that once people see the final product they might want to go towards the same route. i know i would love to see the end result and probably if you do end up selling it i would be very interested in buying something like that. mainly i would like it because it pisses me off how my car is as low from the ground as my dad's 1990 ferrari testarossa but it is so much shorter and i like the look but could never achieve it.
There is absolutely no way you could even make a kit for a chop top. It is all custom fabrication.

I like those short exotic cars as well and that was the look I was going for. If you get the chance, try and measure your dads car from the lowest part to the highest. I'm just curious how it would compare.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I like the idea. Good luck with it. I debate back and forth with dropping my car another inch or so front and rear.
I'll be posting a mod that will allow the front tires to tuck up and extra 1.25". The stroke will be the same meaning the tires will droop 1.25" less. It doesn't effect the ride height, but it will give you a smoother ride as you won't be on the bumpstops as much. OR, you could lower your car another inch and have it ride the same as it does now.

It's a zero cost mod that is equivalent to a shortened shock.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Assuming I moved the A/C to the rear, do you guys think it would be worth it to set the engine back? Maybe 9-12". The only real issue I have would be leg room. Would I have to move the pedal assembly, steering wheel and seat back an equal amount?

Another small issue. I'm looking for a flooded or parted out firebird donor car right now so I can strip it down and see all the internal parts. Eventually, I would transfer all my drivetrain, interior and body parts over to this donor car. It will be a Frankenstien in a sense. Do you think I would have any issues getting it insured or registered?

I would be registering the donor car, right, as they go by the VIN number on the dash? Does this mean I need to avoid donor cars with no title or a salvage title? I guess a junkyard car would be out of the question, then. Any thoughts on this from Texas members?
Old 09-30-2008, 02:53 AM
Staging Lane

tuck the wheels up bro, just don't get ghey and throw 26's on it. are you chopping the top and leaving the t tops? i think the t top, chopped, would look sick as hell. personally, if you're gonna get low, i'd say do a truck. but a super low f body would be different.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:08 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I'll be posting a mod that will allow the front tires to tuck up and extra 1.25". The stroke will be the same meaning the tires will droop 1.25" less. It doesn't effect the ride height, but it will give you a smoother ride as you won't be on the bumpstops as much. OR, you could lower your car another inch and have it ride the same as it does now.

It's a zero cost mod that is equivalent to a shortened shock.
I'm interested in seeing what you do with that... keep me informed and updated. Drop me a PM with more specifics as well.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wannasupra
tuck the wheels up bro, just don't get ghey and throw 26's on it. are you chopping the top and leaving the t tops? i think the t top, chopped, would look sick as hell. personally, if you're gonna get low, i'd say do a truck. but a super low f body would be different.
The wheels are tucked in every photo. Some just have raised wheel wells so you can actually steer the car. I'm fine with my 19's. They ride real smooth.

You can't really chop the top and use the stock t-tops as they will be too short front to rear. I did consider a targa top, but I don't know about that.

Do you have any idea how to get a truck down to 35" tall? It ain't happening.

Black Trans Ams for life, Bro.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Due to the fact I'm replacing the suspension and tubbing the rear, it would be very easy to alter the wheelbase. The only thing difficult would be moving the wheel openings. The back would be just metal work, but the fronts may be too difficult. Does anyone make fiberglass TA front fenders?

Anyway, here it is with the front wheels moved forward.

Here it is with both front and rear wheels moved forward.

Do any of these ideas strike a nerve?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks pretty bad ***!
Old 09-30-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Looks pretty bad ***!
X2, I would never fit in it though. I like the outside the box thinking.
I don't know if this was already asked but would you have to make t-tops longer?
Old 09-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

I swear everytime i look at it I think Batmobile. As a matter of fact it looks way better than the Batmobile. I think it looks pretty damn cool. Is custom glass (front or rear) expensive? Good luck with the project and just make sure its safe.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I'm interested in seeing what you do with that... keep me informed and updated. Drop me a PM with more specifics as well.
I want to hear about this too!! Include me in your PMs too!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

i like teh choped top but the rims look offly big.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it would be cooler if you moved the rear wheels to the rear of the car rather than forward. I know it would make the wheel base longer but you would have less weight hanging that far off of the rear point?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Another small issue. I'm looking for a flooded or parted out firebird donor car right now so I can strip it down and see all the internal parts. Eventually, I would transfer all my drivetrain, interior and body parts over to this donor car. It will be a Frankenstien in a sense. Do you think I would have any issues getting it insured or registered?
i built an 84 z28 a few years back thinking the same way as you...took 2.5 years and the body and drivetrain was complete for the most part. when it was time to title the frankenstien body i just rivited the vin tag from my original car (your current car) onto the dash...your gonna have the windshield out anyways. Then you could keep your current registration and such. Another option that i had planned on doing was getting "kit car/hobbyist" plates. but your car is gonna get picked over by the d.o.t.

good luck if you plan on jumping in. once you build a rolling chassis with a full frame (which really is simple stuff especially if you use a 4-link or IRS) and build a firewall and inner fenderwalls etc. Your main issue and most time consumeing part is the body work. shapeing that roof and getting the glass cut and everything is gonn take alot alot alot of work. raising the wheel wells is the easy part...

Quick Reply: Lowest Trans Am in the World - Radical Thinkers Only!!