Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Lowest Trans Am in the World - Radical Thinkers Only!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you need to chop the top so much. And I don't like how you cut out the lower nostrils. But I like how far it is dropped. Looks awesome! Do it!
Old 09-30-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Here is a pic similar to the first one, but the car is more level and the wheel wells have been raised. This would be more accurate as to how it would actually be finished and be drivable. Do you guys think 3" of travel and clearance would be enough? This car would no longer be a daily driver plus I can still hit the switchs to lift it up another 3" for obstacles and steep drivaways.

reminds me of an f16
Old 09-30-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Batman
i built an 84 z28 a few years back thinking the same way as you...took 2.5 years and the body and drivetrain was complete for the most part. when it was time to title the frankenstien body i just rivited the vin tag from my original car (your current car) onto the dash...your gonna have the windshield out anyways. Then you could keep your current registration and such. Another option that i had planned on doing was getting "kit car/hobbyist" plates. but your car is gonna get picked over by the d.o.t.

good luck if you plan on jumping in. once you build a rolling chassis with a full frame (which really is simple stuff especially if you use a 4-link or IRS) and build a firewall and inner fenderwalls etc. Your main issue and most time consumeing part is the body work. shapeing that roof and getting the glass cut and everything is gonn take alot alot alot of work. raising the wheel wells is the easy part...
I was considering moving the dash tag over, but I didn't want to mention that online.

I really don't want to do any body work other than raising the wheel openings. The roof will be reinforced fiberglass. I believe the front and side glass can be reused if they are simply cut down. The roof and the suspension are really two seperate projects. I'll probably do one, then the other.

Do you have some pics of your 84?
Old 09-30-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
I think it would be cooler if you moved the rear wheels to the rear of the car rather than forward. I know it would make the wheel base longer but you would have less weight hanging that far off of the rear point?
What weight are you thinking of? Nothing is back there. Moving the rear wheels forward will actually give the rear tires more bite.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

OK guys, here is a concept photo of what I'm pretty sure I can actually build. This vehicle would be 35" tall top to bottom. If I lift it rides height to say 4", then it would still be 1" shorter than the famed 60's Ford GT40.

I'll explain how it can be done if anyone wants to know. Right now, I just want to know what you guys think of the overall design. Is this badass or what?

Front end design:
Sweet!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What weight are you thinking of? Nothing is back there. Moving the rear wheels forward will actually give the rear tires more bite.
Well your right in that there isnt a whole lot of weight back there, but the gas tank is along with the rest of the rear hatch and body panels, only thing i was thinking of is what all that stuff weighs plus the distance it is from being over the axle. Kind of like when the corvette went from the c5 body to the c6 body how there is very very little of the body ahead of the front wheels and behind the rear wheels. Its all more concentrated in the center. Just my thought though.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
Well your right in that there isnt a whole lot of weight back there, but the gas tank is along with the rest of the rear hatch and body panels, only thing i was thinking of is what all that stuff weighs plus the distance it is from being over the axle. Kind of like when the corvette went from the c5 body to the c6 body how there is very very little of the body ahead of the front wheels and behind the rear wheels. Its all more concentrated in the center. Just my thought though.
I may mount the gas tanks behind the front seats.

Keep in mind that the C5 and C6 have the trans in the back. This means less weight up front and more on the rear than the F-body.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That chop top makes the spoiler look freaking huge!
Old 10-01-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

reminds me of those T/A RC cars, lol

Old 10-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Teching In

i'll try to get measurments of the testarossa asap. also i know that a kit would be almost impossible to create due to the front windshield change and all the things needed to actually chop the top (a-pillars, t-tops[if keeping the t-tops], etc). i was just thorwing that out there cause i dont have the time or DD to go ahead with a project like this even though ive always imagined what it would look like. if im not mistaken there was a video game out a while ago where they included a t/a and you could chop the top. it was either juiced or juiced 2. i dont remember exactly cause it was a long time ago. ever since then (many years before i even got my firehawk) i tinkered with the body of the t/a. IMO, chopping the top is one of the most unique and coolest looking things you can do to a t/a. good luck with the project and ill be looking for updates regularly
Old 10-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
reminds me of those T/A RC cars, lol

Where can you buy that RC car?
Old 10-02-2008, 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think I found my donor car. 94 formula firebird convertible - no engine/trans $500. Good choice or not?
Old 10-02-2008, 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Aight B!tches, I'm feeling pretty good about this one. Low and behold,
the shortened body.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

What about lowering the rake on the rear spoiler, or possibly losing it all together? This last pic pretty much nails it, but to me it seems that if the spoiler was la little lower it would flow better with the rest of the car and still give it that jet fighter look.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

It looks like a missile.

With wheels.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by '00_Z
What about lowering the rake on the rear spoiler, or possibly losing it all together? This last pic pretty much nails it, but to me it seems that if the spoiler was la little lower it would flow better with the rest of the car and still give it that jet fighter look.
I'll worry about the spoiler later. If I can get the vert donor car I'll have the trunk lid in which I can round over and mount the spoiler to that. Then I'll see.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

i have to admit, I LIKE IT. if it were mine, i would leave the lower body/wheels how they came from the factory. no need to move either forward or backwards. to me that's pushing it a little to far. also, the front end need to have the TA clip in and just lightly smoothed and shaved. something about the front end with the openings reminds me to much of a grand prix/grand am.

definately going in the right direction. i like the hood but there's so much surface area to it, that it feels like it needs something, but not too much...

kinda makes one wonder, what would an SS look like in that fashion...
Old 10-02-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i like it alot! but be sure to brace the hell out of the body when your choppin the top and cutting out the floor, and its alot harder to chop a top than most people think then getting the glass cut can get costly as it may crack when they cut it so you have to buy another one.....IMO the glass will be the hardest part of the chop

here is a pic of my cousin's 82 we chopped 6 years ago took out 7' in back and 7.5' in front to give it a rake
By crsrds24 at 2008-10-02

i have some pics i could scan of my OBS suburban we chopped 10" out of then katrina took it away

BTW i think you have excellent idea's that a very tasteful...hell i wish i was in the area i would help for beer
Old 10-02-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it looks really bad ***! Its totaly different! And I can't wait to see it if you actually do it!
Old 10-02-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I think I found my donor car. 94 formula firebird convertible - no engine/trans $500. Good choice or not?
For $500 sounds good. You wont feel to guilty once you start cutting that bitch up!

Quick Reply: Lowest Trans Am in the World - Radical Thinkers Only!!