Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Ripped Cross Member off of the Bottom of the Car..

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Angry Ripped Cross Member off of the Bottom of the Car..

I'm currently using a Tunnel-Brace Mounted Adjustable UMI Performance Torque Arm. I'm not bashing that product, that's a fine piece and I'm very happy with it, so no one get that idea..

What happened was I was loading the Car on a Trailer and an edge of the Tralier caught the Cross Member that has the Drive Shaft Loop, and ripped that with the mounts off the bottom of the Car. WTF ya know..

This is my plan..
I'm going to pull the Interior out of the Car, get in there with some 3/16" plate steel about 4" wide by however long it needs to be, cut out the body sheet metal in the area where the mounts were, weld the plate steel inbetween the Seat Frame Rails, and then use that to weld the Brackets to it on the underside. If need be, I'll make some shims if it's not low enough, but it should be close, the body sheet metal is really thin. Then seal it up to where nothing will get in..

What you all think?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn what a bummer. Sounds like a good idea, just make sure you take a bunch of measurments before you start cutting so you get your mounts in the right place front to back, side to side, and at the right height off the ground. Might as well tie the whole thing intot he sub frame cnnectors if you have them.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I just left it alone, right now it sits W/O the Transmission, so no Drive Shaft or Exhaust on it, nothing affected really. Everything is still bolted together. I'm in Iraq, so something to do when I get back..

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
Damn what a bummer. Sounds like a good idea, just make sure you take a bunch of measurments before you start cutting so you get your mounts in the right place..
No measurements needed..do it the easy way my friend..

I'm goin to un-bolt the Cross Member from the Torque Arm, take the Brackets off, clean/straighten them up to weld, then bolt them back to the Cross Member. Then I'm goin into the Car and cutting out the body in the mounting spots, and welding in the Steel Plate.
Then I'm going back under it, bolt the Cross Member up to the Torque Arm, then let it place itself on the body where I put the Steel Plates and weld it in place. The Car will be on a Drive-on Lift, so it will be sitting like it will be on the Street, all weight on the suspension. After it's all on, paint everything so nothing will rust. No need for measurements..
Old 10-10-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go for it!!