PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will removing the A.I.R. cause me to fail emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 06:56 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Will removing the A.I.R. cause me to fail emissions?

I wanted to remove the entire A.I.R. system to clean up my engine bay and Im about to put on some FRCs and I didnt want to cut them up that much and I know with the air pump being there, theres a lot of cutting involved. How important is the A.I.R. system? Does it affect the performance of the car? What Im most worried about is if it will cause me to fail emissions. If I was to have it removed out of my PCM, then no SES lights would come on. But would it show up that its been deleted or cause anything to fail because something isnt complete? Thanks
Old 09-24-2003, 07:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Will removing the A.I.R. cause me to fail emissions?

NVmySS couldn't tell from your sig if you had cats or not,but if you don't AIR is worthless. I don't know about Texas ET, but in Ga. we do OBDII on 96 up cars and don't do any type of visual inspection so the AIR system being gone would not matter if no code for it was set. Hell no one could tell if the pump part was gone it is so buried LOL. I also don't know what typw of tuning you have but if you use edit just make it not "report", AIR code is not a part of moniters checked in Ga. ET's. Hope this helps.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:17 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have FLPs with the interchangable cats and off-road pipes. Im currently running the cats because it was too loud for me with the ORPs. Whether or not I was running the cats, I dont run them to pass emissions, just to quite it down. In Texas its the same, only OBDII for 96 and up cars. Theyre supposed to do a visual, but no one ever does. So if they did do a tailpipe check, then I would need the A.I.R. because it helps burn the excess gas, is that correct? If so, then the excess gas wouldnt get burned without A.I.R. resulting in a failure if they were to do a tailpipe test. I have custom tuning by Jason at MTI. If he was to remove the A.I.R. from the computer, will it show up during testing or prevent a cycle or whatever from not being complete? Does removing it have any affect on performance or the way anything works? Thanks for your input/help!
Old 09-24-2003, 08:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They AIR only works on initial start up for only a minute or 2 at the most, It will have NO effect on OBDII BECAUSE ther is no tailpipe sniffer( wouldn't matter anyway because by the time you got to the testing facility AIR would not be functioning at all) like I said earlier in GA. the AIR system is not one of the moniters scanned. In 96 to 99 cars you can have 2 not readys and still pass in 00 & ups you can only have 1 "not ready" and pass. Mostly its only the biggies that are tested for Catalyst system, egr if applicable, EVAP, 02 sensor function and misfire, but in Ga. and other states in the southeast AIR is not one of the ones checked. I have tested thousands of cars and not one has failed on AIR UNLESS it sets of the MIL.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:37 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't worry, it has nothing to do with performance either. It only helps burn excess gas when the motor is cold; then quickly shuts down for the rest of the time.