Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning Pros...NoGo, Chris B,...Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Tuning Pros...NoGo, Chris B,...Help

Put me down first in line for the NoGo tuning book.
I have learned alot through his post and also have alot of printed material.

thanks
Old 10-02-2003, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re:

Since we need to hit various RPM and load (MAP) to build the VE table, would it be quicker to do this on a Mustang Dyno rather than the street?
Old 10-02-2003, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re:

I don't know if it would be better or not - it would certainly be faster though.

If you set it up to mimic whatever load your car presents then it should be equivalent, but I don't know if you would save any time - since you would have to still hit all the cells.

Now if you change the load to make it easier/quicker to hit all the cells then your are changing parameters that aren't compensated for in the VE equation (this would be especially noticeable with a turbo vehicle).

Then there is also the issue of transient vs. "static" conditions (though static is still a bit of a misnomer in this context). There are some cells were you can be both in "static" conditions (say cruising on the highway) and transient conditions (accelerating through) - but there are also cells that you are realistically only going to see in transient conditions (high trottle angle cells, etc.) - due to the relatively fixed load (ignoring high mph top end runs here) Even if we timeslice down essentially to zero the whole system is going to have different properties (inertia of the air charge stream, etc.). What actual difference this makes, I don't know - but it would be another variable to think of.

The MAP, as an indicator of engine load, should help discriminate the cells somewhat, but especially if you alter the load it would easy to be in the same cell in 2 different "contexts"

Old 10-02-2003, 02:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re:

OK, made a slight change to just them 1200 RPM column last night. After doing some of the calculations, I decided that my VE at 1200 and 50-60 MAP needed to be around 1000. It was around 1200 from previsously blindly scaling it some to help with the cam idle. So after getting it down to 1000 or so, the car actually idles better now, and doesnt surge while sitting in gear as much. I am really happy. I am finally starting to understand this stuff....

NoGo, I would definitely be down for buying a book too...!

HumpinSS, that the orignal thread where I got the .2 also, and also found that each cylinder is like 43.25 Cubic inches....I did however, end up using 346 in my calculations for what I said above...

Now onto the rest of the RPMS this week sometime...
Old 10-02-2003, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

I go through a filter out all values where tps = 0 and deltaVSS is negative (coasting down), and where the car isn't up to temp yet to start off.

I also kill off the values for each cell were the population < 50 (number of samples). I then filter out all values that are more than 2 standard deviation units from the average.

Generally that gets me a table that tracks pretty well with what you would expect - the biggest problem is getting enough data points to make it statistically valid - you are going to want a tremendous amount of data, and you need to make sure that you vary your driving quite a bit to try and hit all the cells.

ChrisB - do you have a software filter or are you manually filtering??? If you have the software is it commercially available???Thanks.
joel
Old 10-02-2003, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I go through a filter out all values where tps = 0 and deltaVSS is negative (coasting down), and where the car isn't up to temp yet to start off.

I also kill off the values for each cell were the population < 50 (number of samples). I then filter out all values that are more than 2 standard deviation units from the average.

Generally that gets me a table that tracks pretty well with what you would expect - the biggest problem is getting enough data points to make it statistically valid - you are going to want a tremendous amount of data, and you need to make sure that you vary your driving quite a bit to try and hit all the cells.

ChrisB - do you have a software filter or are you manually filtering??? If you have the software is it commercially available???Thanks.
joel

I was wondering the same thing. I basically built myself a filter and calculation sheet in excel last night for the 1200 RPM range that I spoke about above. I couldnt seem to find a speadsheet that anyone had put together for this type of tuning....
Old 10-03-2003, 01:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

OK, well I threw an Excel Spreadsheet together to calculate VE for me, and then break it up by RPM range to make it easier to read for editing. Its kinda basic, but should get the job done for large scale data entries. It will accept 12000 entries...

It's 6.0 Mb in size, and I can't figure out why its so big. I am by no means an Excel expert.

VE Spreadsheet 6.0 Mb

I think it calculates everything right? Someone might want to check it though. This is basically what I used to get the values to edit my 1200 RPM column in the VE table.

It's setup with the constants already in, and all you have to do is put in the 4 user inputs, MAF g/sec, IAT in celcius, RPM, and MAP. After putting those in, it will calculate the VE, and display it in the VE column, it will also display the VE in the different RPM ranges...

Like I said, it's kinda basic, but I suck at Excel...Let me know what you guys think, or if you have any ideas on changing it up any.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:19 AM
TECH Addict

JxxxOxxxe - Thanks! I have about 50 runs logged as I've tuned. I should be able to use these and reduce my logging time.I'll try to get into this over the weekend. I'm a software 'tard tho.
joel
Old 10-03-2003, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

JxxxOxxxe - Thanks! I have about 50 runs logged as I've tuned. I should be able to use these and reduce my logging time.I'll try to get into this over the weekend. I'm a software 'tard tho.
joel
No problem. The way my Autotap logs, it seems like I get about 5500 lines of data per 20-25 minutes of driving time, so I could fit 2 complete sessions in the table.

If Chris B. has something made up that can do everything he was talking about, it would blow this thing away. I just knew I had to get something figured out because it would have taken FOREVER to sit down and calculate each of these values independantly. After you get chance to use it, let me know what you think....
Old 10-03-2003, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

I'm using the program I poasted earlier to do it - the version I have posted will do most of that stuff, but I have made a few changes also (q-test, etc.). I will see if I can put up a stripped down version that will just do the VE calcs.

Old 10-03-2003, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm using the program I poasted earlier to do it - the version I have posted will do most of that stuff, but I have made a few changes also (q-test, etc.). I will see if I can put up a stripped down version that will just do the VE calcs.

Chris, I must have missed the software somewhere? Got a link to it?
Old 10-04-2003, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Chris, I must have missed the software somewhere? Got a link to it?
JxxxOxxxE her is the Link software .I also brought the Thread back to top in this section.
joel
Old 10-05-2003, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

JxxxOxxxE her is the Link software .I also brought the Thread back to top in this section.
joel

Maybe I am just stupid, but I cant get it to do any VE calculations for me. I can load a log file, then place some filteres, export the log file, but for some reason can understand how to get it to calculate the VE...??

Same thing for the shift points?
Old 10-05-2003, 06:03 PM
FormerVendor

You need to load your ve table exported from LS1Edit.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

You need to load your ve table exported from LS1Edit.

Hmm...just how do I go about doing that? And then it will make the calculations for me?
Old 10-06-2003, 08:25 AM
FormerVendor

I have edit version 1.3 I went to the table that contained VE and saved it to a file. It should be close to the apply changes and clear changes button. It exported the tablet to a text file that was read by ChrisB's program
Old 10-06-2003, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have edit version 1.3 I went to the table that contained VE and saved it to a file. It should be close to the apply changes and clear changes button. It exported the tablet to a text file that was read by ChrisB's program
Ok, cool. I got that. So I exported it, then loaded a log file, I didn't filter anything, then went to VE calc. and loaded the VE table I exported. Then the tbale comes up, but everything is extremely low values. like 35 up to 88 at the highest?

The graphing selection is on "Table from PCM" and if I try to click anything else, I get an error....?
Old 10-06-2003, 10:19 AM
FormerVendor

Maybe ChrisB can chime in. I havent mastered the software myself either. I have only played with the IFR table and havent gotten to the VE table as yet
Old 10-06-2003, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Maybe ChrisB can chime in. I havent mastered the software myself either. I have only played with the IFR table and havent gotten to the VE table as yet
I 've just loaded ChrisB's program. Are you guys logging with EFILive 5 or 6. Any header changes??? Thanks.
joel
Old 10-06-2003, 01:48 PM
FormerVendor

I think I tried with both but I cant remember