PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it true that it takes more than 45 min. on a dyno to get a good tune?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 09:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
Exactly! I've had people comment that I tuned their car too quick - then I run the summary of changes in EFILive and show them how many tables I changed... that is always an eye opener.
That is the point.They wonder what I'm doing for the first 10-15 minutes before going for a ride.

As said before,it really matters on the combo and if the work done is right.It can take 15 minutes or 6 hours.The more the tuner has experience with certain setups will determine the time spent to get it right.There are also more than 1 way to tune a car right also.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
after breaking something on my second dyno pull I'm kinda nervous about strapping it down for much dyno tuning...something about busting the transmission housing makes me think the dyno is harder on the car than I am on the street
The tailshaft housing? Do you still have the torque arm with your conversion? I've seen/heard of this happening with just stock cars. Thats why they offer a torque arm that can bolt on to a crossmember off of the tailshaft.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
You can never time a tune.Experience plays a big role.A typical bolt-on car would take me 10-15 minutes on the street followed by 2-3 dyno runs,before the drive I change a ton of tables for my starting point.Is it a bad tune because it was done so quick?No,it's called experience
I know that if I tuned cars for a living I would save all of the tunes that I did. And on a non tuned car I'd load a similar setup and go from there. Correct for the small bs, gears, tires, injectors and that should get you close. Take your time on the ground up tunes so you can use them later. Seems like common sense to me, its a business, its not UNICEF
Old 12-22-2008, 08:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
I know that if I tuned cars for a living I would save all of the tunes that I did. And on a non tuned car I'd load a similar setup and go from there. Correct for the small bs, gears, tires, injectors and that should get you close. Take your time on the ground up tunes so you can use them later. Seems like common sense to me, its a business, its not UNICEF
I never copy/paste a tune.Just from all the cars done I remember all the tables and were they should start for each combo.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently did a SC Vette. It was stock other than the SC. It just so happens that I did almost the exact same car 2 years ago. Both 2 bar SD, both stock exhaust manifolds, same injectors, everything. Same year cars too.

I plugged the older tune into the car I did recently, and on the first pull, the car made 525 hp, the fueling was pretty close, and it didn't set the 1514 code.
It took very little adjustment.

Does that mean that the tune sucked?
Old 12-22-2008, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
The tailshaft housing? Do you still have the torque arm with your conversion? I've seen/heard of this happening with just stock cars. Thats why they offer a torque arm that can bolt on to a crossmember off of the tailshaft.
Nope I had put standard tailhousing on it, otherwise I would have assumed it had been damaged when the car my pullout was from was hit.

I have been told it could be my steel driveshaft not liking the rpms
Old 12-25-2008, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bolt on car 1 hour tops if its takin longer somethin is wrong or someone doens't know what their doin.
heavily modified cars with camshafts and blowers well them take a bit longer. some people bitch about how it starts how its idles and how long it takes to come down to idle after u start it. how it idles in drive. if someone has done many cars with big mods then they should be able to load tables fairly close to what they need to be but for someone just gettin started...may take the a while to figure it out. also modded cars may take some street driving as some conditions on the street may not occur on the dyno