Sponsored by:

Long Term Fuel Trim Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Long Term Fuel Trim Question

Hey all,

So I've been going back and forth via email with a rep at autotap because I'm having issues logging my bank 2 LTFTs on my '96. The car goes into closed loop and the front O2s are switching properly, but bank 2 LTFT bogusly reads 100% for a while, then slowly starts counting up from 1% until I kill it.

Now I thought I was on top of this, but to hear this from an "expert" has me second guessing myself. The autotap rep guy seems to think my lack of rear O2 sensors is the problem or something....here's what he said, copied and pasted from an email:

In a stock system, the post-cat O2s provide long term fuel trim. If you removed the cats, what happened to the wires for the post-cat sensors?
Someone reassure me that he is wrong....I mean...my bank 1 LTFT is working just fine. Has anyone else had this problem with autotap?
Old 01-02-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

to my understanding the rears tell the ECM if the cats are working properly, thats all.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

correct... it's the front 2 (sensor 1's) that are used for fuel trims...

the rears are only there to tell if the cat's are working properly... which is why, when people do exhaust work and remove their CAT's, the rear O2 sensors (sensor 2's) can be removed or their DTC's disabled. they are not needed for anything else other than the CAT's...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 01-04-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your b2s1 sensor isn't bottomed out at .100 or something like that, it shoudn't be reading 100%. Sounds like a problem with the scanner.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pdsq98gt
If your b2s1 sensor isn't bottomed out at .100 or something like that, it shoudn't be reading 100%. Sounds like a problem with the scanner.
...that's what I've been trying to explain to the rep at Autotap. He has me jumping through hoops trying crap rather than looking at the bogus log files I have been sending him because I guess he can't accept the fact that maybe something is wrong with the software or cable firmware. It's really frustrating.