PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car runs for 2 secs & shuts down

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turned off VATS and it still has the same symtoms. I did however get a log of one of the longer times it would stay running. Another weird thing is happening when the car starts up and runs for the longer periods the idle goes pretty high like around 3k rpm and the guages including the tach dont move like they are dead and after about 3 seconds they come on and peg out and then they return to their normal positions like they will do when you have the battery disconnected and you reconnect it for the first time. I think this may be a hint as to whats going on but I dont know what it means exactly.

Anyway here's the newest log
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
ATTEMPT 3.hpl (36.6 KB, 81 views)
Old 01-01-2009, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres a few ideas for you to check:
1. its possible the crank sensor isn't re-learning properly so i would test that

2. because of what i read about your gauges there is also the possiblity of a charging problem. check the battery voltage, fuses and also make sure you battary terminals are tight. loose terminals can cause the same condition and i know that from experiance. hope this helps. goodluck!
Old 01-01-2009, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MattysTA
heres a few ideas for you to check:
1. its possible the crank sensor isn't re-learning properly so i would test that

2. because of what i read about your gauges there is also the possiblity of a charging problem. check the battery voltage, fuses and also make sure you battary terminals are tight. loose terminals can cause the same condition and i know that from experiance. hope this helps. goodluck!

Thanks, I double check that. The batt I have in the car is a brand new Optima yellow top and when I'm not trying to start the car I trip a 200A breaker to disconnect the battery and charge it. I kow battery voltage is important so every time I use it it has at least 12.4 V. I'll double check all my connections but everything looks good. Thanks again.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
Another weird thing is happening when the car starts up and runs for the longer periods the idle goes pretty high like around 3k rpm and the guages including the tach dont move like they are dead and after about 3 seconds they come on and peg out and then they return to their normal positions like they will do when you have the battery disconnected and you reconnect it for the first time. I think this may be a hint as to whats going on but I dont know what it means exactly.

Well that's weird. It still looks like something is just shutting off the fuel on the one time the the LM1 came on. If you can get another 12 volt power source to connect the the LM1 to, to avoid the warmup cycle reset during cranking. I bet the fuel is just being shut off everytime.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks, I double check that. The batt I have in the car is a brand new Optima yellow top and when I'm not trying to start the car I trip a 200A breaker to disconnect the battery and charge it. I kow battery voltage is important so every time I use it it has at least 12.4 V. I'll double check all my connections but everything looks good. Thanks again.
You could also log the battery voltage just to see. Also what's the deal with the Fuel Pressure parameter? Do you have that setup correctly?
Old 01-01-2009, 12:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
Well that's weird. It still looks like something is just shutting off the fuel on the one time the the LM1 came on. If you can get another 12 volt power source to connect the the LM1 to, to avoid the warmup cycle reset during cranking. I bet the fuel is just being shut off everytime.
Shut off at the injectors? I'm monitoring fuel pressure and i have 66-67 #'s and then the car shuts off and the fuel pressure drops to the 40 psi region. What all interupts the injector pulse? If I knew what did that I could start looking in that directon.

Also the fact that the guages act like they loose juice makes me want to look in that direction. :

Old 01-01-2009, 12:24 PM
10 Second Club

You could also log the battery voltage just to see. Also what's the deal with the Fuel Pressure parameter? Do you have that setup correctly?
The fuel pressure jumping was an attempt to log the fuel pressure. I have a dynotune guage and asked dynotune if they had a voltage offset table and they did. When they e-mailed it to me they told me that their guages work off a 2.54 to 2.66 V signal & that they usually dont log well.

I will add the battery V PID, think thats a very good idea.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Like i said check the crank sensor, it could even be loose or a bad wire on it,EX. burned, cut etc...cause once the car starts if its not picking up the signal it will shut the fuel off
Old 01-01-2009, 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MattysTA
Like i said check the crank sensor, it could even be loose or a bad wire on it,EX. burned, cut etc...cause once the car starts if its not picking up the signal it will shut the fuel off
Is there a test I can perform to eliminate the crank sensor?

I went over all my grounds and all connections and didnt find anything out of order, I tested all fuses and all were powered except the mini starter fuse under the hood but I think it dosent get power till you turn the ignition switch, I would have tested that theory but I dont have anyone here to turn the key for me.

I also did another log and added in some PID's, couldnt find a PID for battery voltage so I logged ignition voltage. Anyway, here it is. I guess the next step is for me to unplug the PCM and double check all my injector to driver connections for accuracy.
Thanks for all your help and LMK if you see anything fishy in the log file.
Attached Files
ATTEMPT 5.hpl (8.0 KB, 74 views)
ATTEMPT 4.hpl (5.0 KB, 78 views)
Old 01-01-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

The voltage looks normal. Not sure how to read that crank sensor PID

You can test the crank sensor with a DMM using the procedure on this page http://gearchatter.com/viewtopic8876...c4c95b000c7121

It should set a code if it's bad though. Do you have any DTCs?
Old 01-01-2009, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

The voltage looks normal. Not sure how to read that crank sensor PID

You can test the crank sensor with a DMM using the procedure on this page http://gearchatter.com/viewtopic8876...c4c95b000c7121

It should set a code if it's bad though. Do you have any DTCs?
Here are my DTC's

[PCM] P0122 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Pending) (Old) (Current) (Immature)
[Brake] C0237 - Rear Wheel Speed Signal Erratic (Current)
[Brake] C0240 - (Current)
[HUD] U1000 - Class 2 Communication Malfunction (History) (Current) (Immature)

Continuous Tests
Misfire: Complete
Fuel System: Complete
Comprehensive Component: Complete

Once Per Trip Tests
Catalyst: Complete
Heated Catalyst: n/a
Evaporative System: Incomplete
Secondary Air System: Complete
A/C System Refrigerant: n/a
Oxygen Sensor: Incomplete
Oxygen Sensor Heater: Incomplete
EGR System: Complete
Old 01-01-2009, 03:53 PM
10 Second Club

I looked over the injector driver wiring and it looked like I had some wires wrong. The wires I had going in the driver came out the same color but that cylinder # didnt match the color of their schematic so I rewired the whole thing. I still have the same problems though, right when I connected the injector driver back up it ran for about 12 seconds but went back to dieing after 2 seconds. The fumes are so strong, this thing is so rich its burning my eyes. I really think its flooding somehow, anyway I got a few more DTC's this time.
[PCM] P0103 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Circuit High Frequency (Pending) (History) (Current) (Immature)
[PCM] P0122 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (SES) (Pending) (Old) (History) (Current) (Immature)
[PCM] P1122 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Circuit Intermittent Low Voltage (History) (Immature)
[PCM] P1635 - 5 Volt Reference Circuit (SES) (History) (Immature)
[Brake] C0237 - Rear Wheel Speed Signal Erratic (History)
[HUD] U1000 - Class 2 Communication Malfunction (History) (Current) (Immature)

Continuous Tests
Misfire: Complete
Fuel System: Complete
Comprehensive Component: Complete

Once Per Trip Tests
Catalyst: Complete
Heated Catalyst: n/a
Evaporative System: Incomplete
Secondary Air System: Complete
A/C System Refrigerant: n/a
Oxygen Sensor: Incomplete
Oxygen Sensor Heater: Incomplete
EGR System: Complete

If you look at the last log I did the TPS will show about 30% , I had the pedal on the floor when it only showe 30%. Could this be part of my problem?
Attached Files
ATTEMPT 6.hpl (14.5 KB, 79 views)
Old 01-01-2009, 05:26 PM
7 Second Club

what injectors do you have?? did you scale them correctly?

have your tried going back to a set that dosent require one of those driver boxes??
Old 01-01-2009, 07:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 10sec_rx7
what injectors do you have?? did you scale them correctly?

have your tried going back to a set that dosent require one of those driver boxes??
I'm running siemens Deka 55# low Z. I used the spread sheet that Redhard supra provided, Bill @ HPT asked the same question, I told him and he never said anything other than the tune is right so I assume I did it correctly.

I have considered rescaling them for the stock ones and reinstalling them but its a huge PITA, guess that will be my next step. If that dosent work I plan on asking Bill about rewriting my 1 bar OS just to see if it will run on that.

I installed a crank position sensor from a 4.8L that I had laying around, it had the same # in raised characters so I'm pretty sure it was the right sensor. Anyway, it made no difference. .........
Old 01-01-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I could be wrong but I don't think the IFR even being horribly wrong would cause what's happening here.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:11 PM
10 Second Club

I could be wrong but I don't think the IFR even being horribly wrong would cause what's happening here.
I know I have them scaled right. The first time I scaled them I did it in gallons per sec because the lable on HPT's IFR table says its g/sec but in actuallity its in #'s per hr. I found out the hard way, it never started, I had to change the oil because it was so flooded. I posted the tune and then thats when Bill brought it to my attention.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

I'm beginning to think I have a corrupt OS or a fried PCM.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

I'm beginning to think I have a corrupt OS or a fried PCM.
I was kinda thinking that too... I've seen bad pcms cause the gauge problem you described since most of the gauges get their input directly from the pcm through a single data wire.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by poolshark021
I was kinda thinking that too... I've seen bad pcms cause the gauge problem you described since most of the gauges get their input directly from the pcm through a single data wire.
I'll try swapping the injectors first and if that dosent work I plan on getting Bills 2 cents worth and If I have to bite the bullet and swallow a new PCM plus the 2 credits they will charge me to license the new PCM.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Is the ground on the back of the drivers side head back on and tight?

Quick Reply: Car runs for 2 secs & shuts down