PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"sniffer" out of tail pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ed, I'm on the same page concerning converter operation. The examples I am citing do not have cats. Kevin Adolph, the [Ford] tuner and shop manager of Performance Auto Sport can (to his surprise) validate that he's seen repeatedly what I have said.

Originally Posted by Alvin
So you haven't tried it then? You have 2 variables and no control. Move the same sensor/controller before and after the cat.
Without cal gases to check the equipment, there's no point in calling this scientific. I'm not talking about cats. The original poster asked if there was a typically a difference in AFR read from the tail pipe opposed to up front. This is the point sole point that I am relating. He didn't ask about taking the sensor from the tail pipe and putting it up front. I am not saying that everyone else will have the same results either. Out of the last dozen or so cars, the only one that broke the mold was a BS3 car, and it still read about .2 leaner measured at the tailpipe against it's own wideband.

Originally Posted by Alvin
Read my post, you don't want a aged sensor doing tuning anyway. Besides that, who to say it ages with some constant which makes it linear with its error?
Of course it won't be linear, and that's the one of the points of independent testing and calibration. Periodic testing with a range of cal gasses shows how irregular aging can be, which of course is environmentally dependent to a very large degree.

Last edited by Frost; 01-15-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, at WOT, the sniffer is pretty close - but that is only good for those who throw it on the dyno for a couple WOT pulls and call it tuned...
Personally, I tune from idle all the way up with the wideband feedback going into my laptop for correction... don't see how you can possibly do that accurately with a tailpipe sniffer. And behind the cats will definitely be off at anything other than WOT, so if you are tuning the car properly, why not just put it in the collector for the entire tune and do it right...
Old 01-15-2009, 10:02 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
Personally, I tune from idle all the way up with the wideband feedback going into my laptop for correction... don't see how you can possibly do that accurately with a tailpipe sniffer. And behind the cats will definitely be off at anything other than WOT, so if you are tuning the car properly, why not just put it in the collector for the entire tune and do it right...

That's what I am talking about!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
I agree, at WOT, the sniffer is pretty close - but that is only good for those who throw it on the dyno for a couple WOT pulls and call it tuned...
Should be a sticky.

Quick Reply: "sniffer" out of tail pipe?