PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OLSD VE adjustments and no change in afr?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
Is the computer in closed loop on a cold start, hell no. So set the whole table to 1.0 and let it idle ice cold at 14.7, it should idle real well. Why the heck did they even put chokes on carb'd cars, they should start and idle fine at 14.7 right?
Well there is a thing called afterstart enrichment.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im with him^
by the whole table he was probably talking warm temp all KPAs
ie 80 degrees C and up all MAP kPa
below that you can leave the cold start enrichment in
on mine in OLSD....i have mine all set to 14.63 above 80 kpa i believe....until my car hits 85kpa.....at 85kpa my car should be going into PE anyways....so i have it sloping down from 80 to 95kpa goes from 14.63 to 12.9 then 12.9 from 95 on up
million ways to get a desired result....everyone knows that i dont care how many times you hear one way is the right way
sometimes you gotta quit thinking so techincal and think like your old pal the internal combustion engine....he just wants x fuel x air and x spark and hes happy
Old 02-08-2009, 07:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
Is the computer in closed loop on a cold start, hell no. So set the whole table to 1.0 and let it idle ice cold at 14.7, it should idle real well. Why the heck did they even put chokes on carb'd cars, they should start and idle fine at 14.7 right?
Check any of the tunes in the newer pcm's, and you will find that GM started setting them all to 14.7 in the Open Loop Fuel tables...

And to the OP, this sounds like a fuel system issue to me...
Old 02-08-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, for simplicity sake, I said the whole table. But yeah, the OLFA table isn't ALL 1's. The results I've gotten were certainly done in open loop, at operating temp. As for a fuel system issue, I was leaning toward that myself, but after the guage install on the end of the fuel rail, it's a constant 62 psi at idle, and doesn't go down but to 58 or so off-idle through the rpm range. I pulled the plugs and they were black. So, now it really doesn't make sense. If I set my VE table closer to the values it "should" be, I bet the car wouldn't even start. I'm with whoever said the motor wants x amount of air with x amount of fuel. I've tried ruling out all possibilities. Here are the results of the leakdown test.

Test done @ 100 psi since thats all my little air compressor would support.

Drivers side front to back % leakdown
15 45 15 43

Pass side front to back
41 45 42 38

The car was cold but the only thing I can compare it to is the last time I did a leakdown test, they ALL were 15% or less. This was about a year and a half ago.

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
Well there is a thing called afterstart
enrichment.

Last edited by WS6 GreeN; 02-08-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:51 AM
9 Second Club

I would say if you have good fuel pressure and the plugs are black, you either have an air leak in the exhaust that is making the wideband read off, or you are actually very rich - which will make the wideband see lean because of the unburnt fuel (which is oxygenated these days). Does it show lean at WOT, or just at idle and cruise RPMs?
Old 02-09-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting idea. I will have to do a little more logging to verify the WOT air/fuel. I know its not the exhaust. I just had a new y-pipe put on with exhaust clamps that cover the joints to make sure it wasn't leaking. That's not to say its not leaking around the header flange or something.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Junkie

What do the plugs look like?
Old 02-10-2009, 05:29 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
What do the plugs look like?
Originally Posted by WS6 GreeN
I pulled the plugs and they were black.
can't be lean...
Old 02-10-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
can't be lean...
Oh, I should have read that.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:37 AM
9 Second Club

Some of the cheaper brands of headers have issues with leaks in between the primaries where they go into the collector - because they are not welded very well or on all of the tubes. It is hard to find this unless you have the car in the air running... I'd put my money on an exhaust leak given all the other signs you have...
Old 02-10-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1fstGM
I have have a very similar problem. OL SD Tune. We have been trying to mess with my VE tables to get my AFR right, but doesn't seem to be working. My EQ Ratio table is not set to 1 though. I also want to add that my fuel pressure seems to be kind of low. I also noticed that at wide open throttle my system voltage drops. Maybe this could be a low voltage problem also? How is you voltage reading?
if you got voltage drop, then you're gonna have fuel pressure drop, which in turn will cause completely miscalculated VE values, because you're assuming IFR instead of measuring it.

fix your hardware first. you cannot tune around junk.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the cheaper brands of headers have issues with leaks in between the primaries where they go into the collector - because they are not welded very well or on all of the tubes. It is hard to find this unless you have the car in the air running... I'd put my money on an exhaust leak given all the other signs you have...

Ugh, I have seen this on 3 sets of QTP headers in the last year or so. I don't consider them a cheap brand.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, never really thought of that. I will give that a closer look.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check any of the tunes in the newer pcm's, and you will find that GM started setting them all to 14.7 in the Open Loop Fuel tables...
That's more because of emissions than anything else. If you scan those same cars from a cold start, you'll see they go into CL as quick as 30 seconds or so. The quicker you can get them to CL, the lower the emissions.

PS, put a new set of plugs in it, set the tune back up the way it was, then approach it differently. This is a common problem, people "tuning around" problems. There's several reasons for it to "look" lean. The 2 basic reasons being, not enough fuel, or too much air.

Also, make sure there's no other odd differences, like it idling in a different cell than it used to. Things like that can clue you in to possible causes. Check the KOEO MAP value to assure the sensor hasn't skewed.

Last edited by edcmat-l1; 02-12-2009 at 11:51 PM.