Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who here self tunes

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 07:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Z
..... The easy solution is to “cheat” by simply fudging the injector flow tables or the MAF calibration table to get the AFR between 12:1 and 13:1 at WOT. This is what most "tuners" do and it works quite well.

speak for yourself.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not the choice of software that is necessarily the issue. Both of the vendors you named are top-quality performers.

It is your own ability to understand relatively complex tuning concepts, and how much persistence and patience you have as an individual.

Self tuning is very gratifying, but not necessarily easy. I say 'go for it', but just be prepared for a pretty challenging first 3 months as the learning curve initially is quite steep.

There are many forums and tutorials, but patience may be your best virtue.

Good luck, it is worth it to learn.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 02-05-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
yeah. well id much rather get something like hp tuners then to just take it somewhere. im more of a hands on kind of person and am a computer wiz. i know that has nothing to do with tuning but im not scared to learn. plus my brother will go half and half with me on hp tuners because he will eventually put an ls motor in his car and will want to use it.

and im hoping on their website there are people there that share their tunes. basic tunes that i can work off of to get an idea of how to work the software, for example, someone with a 2000 ss that has headers and td that i could use to make mine work also, because i know all cars are different.
That's all you need, you will tackle the learning curve, you qualify for DIY tuning...

Both packages are excellent... it's a matter of playing with each and seeing which you like.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered HP tuners. People told me to just pay for a tune, but the way I look at it...That's $500 anywhere I go, plus the diesel to pull it there. Then if I change injectors or throw a kit on the car, it's another $100-150 to make changes. There's my MVPI Pro right there.

I'm good with computer though...And from everything I've been reading, tuning these cars are more about just knowing what to do...and when to do it. I mastered C++/Java programming sophomore year of HS, I think this won't be too bad.

Photoshop, Premiere, Visual C++...It's all intimidating at first.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frost
speak for yourself.
I was and am speaking for myself. This thread concerns DIY tuners, not professionals with dynos. I doubt that you dispute my main contention, which is that properly tuning these engines can be difficult and time-consuming. That's why we need professionals.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Z
I was and am speaking for myself. This thread concerns DIY tuners, not professionals with dynos. I doubt that you dispute my main contention, which is that properly tuning these engines can be difficult and time-consuming. That's why we need professionals.
The irony of it all is that most of the local DIY guys that I help out from time to time actually tune through calibration. its all of the crappy nearby (within a few states) shops that dick up IFR tables to get cars 'tooned'. You should see the myriad of issues caused by IFR tuning to H/C cars....
Old 02-05-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

i like hptuners, but wish i had gone with the pro interface.

if you're ever stuck in a tuning bind, posting a question on the hptuners message board won't always get an answer. whenever i do a search on there, more than half the time i get a single post thread with an unanswered question. there is a lot of information on the message board as well as on here, however.
regardless, i am happy with hptuners and do recommend it.
not sure how it is on the efilive side of the fence
Old 02-05-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

EFILive all the way. I love it.

Bill

Quick Reply: Who here self tunes