PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle problem 02 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle problem 02 camaro

the car idles fine when air is cold outside, go to the store car nice and warm. when i restart the car in surges for about 20 seconds then idles fine. car has a cam 228r mid headers and a tune. throughing a p0106 code changed the map sensor no change still have the code had bad 02s got new ones and through a p1133 and p1153 . my tuner tried everthing he knows to try to fix and got no where please help thanks.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either the RAF table is off, or he has too much startup airflow, or both. Surge can be from too much airflow desired. What are the idle trims, that will say it all.

It could also be fueling if you O2s are bad. Obviously it is an issue when the ECM is not controlling the idle and/or fueling (open loop).
Old 02-10-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can also have surging when running lean.
I bet when you restart your car you are seeing high IAT and this can make you run a little lean for a few seconds after restarting.

O2 codes are a fact of life with LT headers.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:55 PM

i have midlink headers and all this started after the install of the cam and it does this before the o2s are even reading and clears up before they are reading also. the trim is normal after the surgen but while it is surgen it puts alil more fuel in then evens it self out during the surgen i have black smoke as if it is running rich on start up. we tried giveing it more fuel on start up 3 times at 3% more then the last and still got the same surge so we put it back where he had it a lil under stock on start up . with him taken fuel out on start up at the beggening of the tune he says he dont think it would be rich.

and to go with all this my asr off light comes on and off ever seens the cam install but no code for IAC,TPS or MAF i think seens the cam it has a mind of its own!
Old 02-11-2009, 06:39 PM

Thumbs down

i did a vacume check when on start up it is less then 5 when it clears up it sits about 13/14. i had an extra map sensor so i unpluged the one on the intake left it there and pluged in my extra one then pulled a vacume on it and with the vac any where between 10 and 15 starts like it is supose to. i let it drop to zero and it went into defalt mod and it started fine till i cleared the code.put everthing back then pulled the small vac. line off the back of the intake and held my finger to bye pass it with a friend starting it and still surged.the only line left back there is the brake and it seems to be ok. i think iam going to change the pcv valve. if there is any input iam all ears.
thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think this is IAT heat soak, and a decent sized cam,
really messing up the open loop mixture. Changing the
"charge temp bias" table and relocating the IAT sensor
seem to both help this behavior, from what I've seen
on the 'boards. But I have never messed with that,
only with getting the idle mixture generally right (which
also helps it). It seems to me like the thing is probably
over-enriched, which happens a lot with a big cam and
a VE table that isn't fitted up to it at the low end.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:08 PM

Default Fixed the starting issue but the codes are still there!:confused:

I fixed the starting issue temp. . I increased the start up friction airflow correction by 4 g/s agross the hole board and starts fine now. But the codes are still there. p0106, p1133, and p1153. so confused.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P0106 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem

DTC P1133 HO2S Insufficient Switching Bank 1 Sensor 1
DTC P1153 HO2S Insufficient Switching Bank 2 Sensor 1
If you have LT headers these 2 are common, if not you need new O2`s.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

I'm having the same exact problem with almost the same exact conditions.... I haven't found it yet.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Launching!

tag...
Old 03-01-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

I researched a bit and it seems like there are two schools of thought:

1. You're VE/MAF #'s are off which causes the PCM calculations for the MAP to be off as a result. Properly tuning the VE/MAF after a "large" cam swap reportedly fixes quite a few cases of P0106.

2. There is "a table" which you can adjust to decrease the PCM's sensitivity to the MAP fluctuations due to the overlap which many larger cams have. While this seems like the easy way out, I'm guessing you're not doing yourself any favors here. If such a table DID exist, I'd love to know which it is to confirm it can be done and try to research what adverse effects adjusting it might have on a tune.

Any one?
Old 05-22-2014, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Sorry to bump such an old post but I am having the same problem after a heads/cam install and couldn't find anything relating.

I'm getting the p0107 MAP Low Input and 2 P0133 insufficient switching codes. Same idle surging/wanting to die and occasionally hanging. Also have LT's.

Did any of you guys figure out what the fix was? I believe its tune related, but the tuner is telling me its not. I went to a different tuner and they said maybe, but the codes should generally not be there and they'd rather tune without them which is putting me in this vicious circle of is it the shitty tune, or something sensor/mechanical related.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Quick Reply: idle problem 02 camaro