Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP tuners questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP tuners questions

Ok, I'm helping a buddy finish up a 240sx with an LS1 in it. Last night we were discussing the possibility of making individual throttle bodies but have a few questions about tuning. I brought up the fact to him that he already has HP Tuners with a 2 bar MAP and whatnot and can't for the life of me figure out why HPT wouldn't be adequate for sub 500hp on itb's. The owner of the car was talking with someone from aussieland that was at SEMA and displaying a set of throttle bodies who told him HP tuners wouldn't suffice.

I figure as long as it has a good vaccum manifold for adequate signal, and a GM TPS sensor I think it'll work. What can any aftermarket ecu do that a flashed stock ecu can't?
Old 02-24-2009, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are plenty of people with well over 500hp with a stock computers. I will be here shortly with HPtuners 2 bar OS.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Drew04GTO
Ok, I'm helping a buddy finish up a 240sx with an LS1 in it. Last night we were discussing the possibility of making individual throttle bodies but have a few questions about tuning. I brought up the fact to him that he already has HP Tuners with a 2 bar MAP and whatnot and can't for the life of me figure out why HPT wouldn't be adequate for sub 500hp on itb's. The owner of the car was talking with someone from aussieland that was at SEMA and displaying a set of throttle bodies who told him HP tuners wouldn't suffice.

I figure as long as it has a good vaccum manifold for adequate signal, and a GM TPS sensor I think it'll work. What can any aftermarket ecu do that a flashed stock ecu can't?
No common plenum to reference a MAP signal?
Some aftermarket ECUs let you run in Alpha-N mode (rpm vs. throttle position).
Old 02-24-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RAACCR
No common plenum to reference a MAP signal?
Some aftermarket ECUs let you run in Alpha-N mode (rpm vs. throttle position).
The vacuum manifold has 9 vacuum ports on it, 8 in which are referenced from each port and a single out for map use. From what I understand as long as you have something like that you're gold

I'd prefer not to use alpha N, I can't imagine a car that would run worse than that. When I was in FSAE we ran our car with just MAP and RPM and it was the least responsive piece of crap i've ever messed with. It worked but not all that great.

Thanks for the advice and replys, I think I'll just try it and hope for the best.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

STRICTLY Alpha-N sucks (I also tried it with FSAE and said "screw this" and went back to speed density)...that said, the HPTuners 1-bar enhanced OS has a TPS/RPM multiplier table next to the main VE table...so you can sorta blend both features of Alpha-N and normal speed density...can be useful to get a massive cam to behave at low RPM and low load.

I'm NOT sure if the 2-bar OS has that table added also...but if you're running boost why bother with ITB's? Then you will need a plenum or plenums above the TB's rather than seperate filters...I think it could be a very unique/cool setup...but usually I think of ITB's on an NA setup.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

The car itself isn't boosted, I think its just the MAP sensor my friend had laying around when he went to go get it tuned. I'm going to start ordering parts in the next few days. I'll keep people updated on this if there's interest.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm definitely interested...I've contemplated an ITB LS1 for a future project car.

Quick Reply: HP tuners questions