Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lap top computer stand for our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg 00SS
I found Delorme on the newsgroups, so gonna download and try it out. I have Streets & Trips 04, but never used it hooked up to my GPS. Usually just build a route and print the maps. But from what I've seen of it, the in car navigation sucks. Looks like you have to have someone watching the monitor for you as it doesn't talk to you, and the font is so small. That is why I like the looks of Delorme. I already have a Garmin III+ GPS, so I'd be using that hooked up to the laptop.
I use the stand for this car navigation reason
It does talk to you, I did have some fun testing out the different voice machines like this one which sounds like a woman whispering, i used an nasty line and it sounds really funny

Also in the delorme, you can maganify the map size up to 200% in 50% increments. (the viewing that is) otherwise you can just set the zoom and leave it like that (i think there's a option that it zooms in automatically when a turn is coming near, never tried that yet)
I use the earthmate UBS GPS that i brought with the software, it does have mulit-GPS module compability but it stated it won't be able to do all the features like showing the location of the satailites.
Let me know how it turns out for you, it works well for me.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Took some pics of the setup today:

A Dell Inspiron 5150 connected to a GPS unit and the charger which is connected to a 750 watts power inverter with an #6 AWG quick disconnect

Old 09-30-2004, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

Looks nice!

Can you get a closeup of the baseplate area?

Also, is that as low as the laptop can get? I'm sure that would be too high in the vette, but it looks like you can drop it some.

Can you speak to how this holds up in corners?
Old 09-30-2004, 01:14 AM
11 Second Club

His can drop a few more inches. Mine was already as low as it can go.

Mine stays in the car all the time. No problem at the track or on the street.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just got my new laptop in the other day, and my d/l'ed version of Delorme seems to works. Might try it out tomorrow and see how it works. Really want to get one of those stands, but not sure I can justify spending $200+ for one. Somoene needs to sell one on Ebay, haha.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brody
Looks nice!

Can you get a closeup of the baseplate area?

Also, is that as low as the laptop can get? I'm sure that would be too high in the vette, but it looks like you can drop it some.

Can you speak to how this holds up in corners?
You mean where the computer attachs to or the part that attachs the whole stand to the car?

that's the highest the laptop can get, there's a longer pole support avail but I'd think that's gonna set the laptop all the way to the sun visior, Prob the longer pole is made for SUV's.

If i drop it some to all the way down with the computer in the right place as it should be as shown in the pic (can see the passgener side mirror, minimal obstruction of the far right of the windshield, it will hit the top of the center console (cup holder area)

no problems with it under hard corners, make sure you have the spring tension set just right and the locking thimble all the way handtight to the locking latch, yesterday morning on the way to college, I used the GPS route to reroute bypassing one of the parkways which was shut down (damn floods) before I came to the exit, an idiot in a white oldsmobile went into my lane like he didn't look, and I used at least 90% of the braking power and the screen only moved foward like 2 inches, all I did was to pull it back to the right viewing angle, lets say this idiot got cutoff the same way he did to me.

Last edited by Midnight F-117A; 09-30-2004 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, had you tightened it more, would it have moved any?

I'd like a shot of both, but I was mainly asking about the area where the whole stand attaches to the car.

I have a C5, and am more concerned with just how low the stand can go.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, had you tightened it more, would it have moved any?

I'd like a shot of both, but I was mainly asking about the area where the whole stand attaches to the car.

I have a C5, and am more concerned with just how low the stand can go.
I think you misunderstood me, the screen moved foward, you know like how it closes and opens on a notebook, that's the only part on the laptop itself moved, nothing on the stand moved.
There's nothing holding the laptop screen in a "locked position", there is a tool that keeps the screen in place under all driving conditions but that costs $40 and it's from the same company that made the stand. I can close the laptop screen when I park the car at a rest stop for like 10-20 mins because I use this stand when I go long range travel.
The laptop attaches to the base using coated cables and spring tension and latches, to keep the right tension on the laptop itself and not crush it from violet forces such as an impact with another object.

Nothing moved, not even the support pole and arm, when you hand tight the plastic levers, they are not going to move. Just the screen on the latop tilted under hard braking.

That's the highest it can get with the camaro kit. If I got the longer pole, the screen prob. would have hit the sunvisor in the car.

I think it's about a foot tall at it's lowest mounting location from the mounting plate (where it attaches to the front seat rail bolts) to the top of the base where the laptop sits on.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

I have that screen holder, keeps the lid in place.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Good deal, I'll just remember to get the screen holder. Now the big question is will the base fit a C5?
Old 10-04-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good deal, I'll just remember to get the screen holder. Now the big question is will the base fit a C5?
Originally Posted by Midnight F-117A
Measure between the center of two front passgener seat rail mounting bolts and I will measure mine and tell you if another hole has to be drilled or it'll fit in one of the two predrilled holes.
Didn't you see my reply before?
Old 10-04-2004, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Got it, but forgot about it.

The distance is 14.5 inches from bolt to bolt
Old 10-05-2004, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Any verdict yet?
Old 10-05-2004, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

Mine are 13.5 apart. There are another set of holes that are 15.5.

I guess you can drill out the holes you need.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Drill the holes you need in the stand plate, or your car's floor? I assume you could do either, but I would obviously prefer the first option.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

I meant drill the holes in the stand. Your mounting area should be flat for it to mount properly.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Got it, but forgot about it.

The distance is 14.5 inches from bolt to bolt
I measured and a hole is gonna be needed to drilled in between the crown vic hole and the camaro hole on the base mounting plate.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Thanks! I hope it's that simple.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks! I hope it's that simple.
In the bottom of this pic:
http://store1.yimg.com/I/afterthough..._1787_44600605

14.5" from the top to the bottom in the image, you center punch and drill a hole between the crown vic and camaro hole. All I suggest is use a sharp drill bit and use plenty of oil while drilling to minimize the bit from burning out.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Hmmmm... I just went out and took a closer look at the car. not so sure it will be very easy.

Forgive the dirty floor.