Sponsored by:

L76 G8 tuning options for PCM

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 08:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L76 G8 tuning options for PCM

Hello,
I recently bought my first LS based vehicle a 09 G8. I would like to know what my options are as far as PCM tuning? I have been racing Buick GN's since the 80's so fuel injected tuning is something I am familiar with especially the aftermarket systems such as Gen 7 and FAST.

I see several options like EFI Live, HP TUners, Diablo etc. I am looking for a program that will offer ability to tweak factory settings for fuel and spark, but also offer WOT closed loop WBO2 control and datalogging. What options are out there? Any break downs comparing what is available?

Not looking to make a race car out of my G8 (already have one of those) but would like to tweak the factory setting now and then have the ability to re-tune it after I go forced induction.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I think I recognize your name. Congrats on the G8! Very nice cars!

I used to have a GN too. TE63-1, FAST SEFI8LO batch fire with WBO2, etc, etc.

I sold the GN a few years ago, and now have an 06 GTO, twin turbo. I do all of my own tuning with HPTuners. You'll have to check their webpage to see if the G8 is supported, but I'll bet it is.

I went with HP Tuners because of their 2.5 BAR OS upgrade, so I could set my fueling in boost. I run in speed-density mode too, the MAF is disabled. I have a WBO2 permanently installed in the GTO. One of the WB outputs feeds an analog gauge on my dash, the other connects to the HPT Pro interface so I can datalog from the WB.

To my knowledge, there are not any tuning packages available that will allow WBO2 control of fueling. You would still have to go with an aftermarket ECM for that. But you really don't need WBO2 fueling control, especially in a street car. I installed the twin turbo in January of '08 and proceeded to dial it in for the next several weeks. I haven't had to touch the tune since March '08. And this is my daily driver. I average 20-21 MPG and have never had any failures at 8 PSI. (14-15 degrees of advance, and methanol injection).

Enjoy that G8! Oh yeah, the same company that makes my turbo kit (APS) also makes one for the G8.

Regards,
-Mike
Old 03-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GNXClone
Hey, I think I recognize your name. Congrats on the G8! Very nice cars!

I used to have a GN too. TE63-1, FAST SEFI8LO batch fire with WBO2, etc, etc.

I sold the GN a few years ago, and now have an 06 GTO, twin turbo. I do all of my own tuning with HPTuners. You'll have to check their webpage to see if the G8 is supported, but I'll bet it is.

I went with HP Tuners because of their 2.5 BAR OS upgrade, so I could set my fueling in boost. I run in speed-density mode too, the MAF is disabled. I have a WBO2 permanently installed in the GTO. One of the WB outputs feeds an analog gauge on my dash, the other connects to the HPT Pro interface so I can datalog from the WB.

To my knowledge, there are not any tuning packages available that will allow WBO2 control of fueling. You would still have to go with an aftermarket ECM for that. But you really don't need WBO2 fueling control, especially in a street car. I installed the twin turbo in January of '08 and proceeded to dial it in for the next several weeks. I haven't had to touch the tune since March '08. And this is my daily driver. I average 20-21 MPG and have never had any failures at 8 PSI. (14-15 degrees of advance, and methanol injection).

Enjoy that G8! Oh yeah, the same company that makes my turbo kit (APS) also makes one for the G8.

Regards,
-Mike
Hey Mike,
Thanks for the info that is what I was looking for. I am going twins also. I was leaning toward the GenTT kit or maybe the APS. How do you like the kit? How difficult was the install? Any problems with the oil scavenge system?
Chris Lyons
Old 03-02-2009, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

I have no regrets with the APS system. It took me and a friend 2-1/2 days to do the install. We installed it slow and carefully though. The scavenge system has been working flawlessly thus far. The overall quality of the kit is excellent, close to what I would imagine GM would've done had they done it themselves.

I don't have any experience with GenTT, but if APS did not exist, that's the system I would have gotten.

I'm looking to forward to hearing about how it works out for you.

-Mike
Old 03-02-2009, 08:38 AM
rao
TECH Resident

HP Tuners supports the G8 - I have taken a look at the stock tune
Old 03-02-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Hptuners or EFILive will both support your vehicle. Both have wideband inputs.

Quick Reply: L76 G8 tuning options for PCM