PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better to Drive with Suspected Bad MAF connected or unplugged?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Better to Drive with Suspected Bad MAF connected or unplugged?

I beleive I have a MAF that has gone bad. Threw a P0101 code, cleaned MAF, cleared DTC, DTC hasn't come back but idle is way high, around 1500 rpm in Park and driving around town. Also appears to bumping up line pressure in Trans cause it is shifting really firm. Am i better off leaving the MAF connected or trying to drive around with it unplugged until I can try and swap it our and see if it fixes the issue?
Old 03-21-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

how is the idle with it unplugged? ive had to run mine unplugged for about a week before cuz i bent one of the wires an dit ran just fine it just runs off of sd
Old 03-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Idle is better with MAF unplugged, just not sure about how it will be driving though? Can I cause any damage driving with the MAF disconnected? It has now also throw a P0507 DTC (IAC valve duty cycle high???). Does this help diagnose the issue any more?

...update... tried swapping out with new MAF, did not correct the issue. I am suspecting either a vacuum leak or possibly TPS sensor in throttle body...any tips or suggestions for tracking the root cause down??? When I first start it, idle is normal (900-1000rpms) for about 10 sec, and then it jumps up to 1500-1600 and stays there?

Last edited by bbradyc5; 03-21-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

it will run fine without the maf mine felt better without it actually, i ran it for a week dd it and had an aluminum pipe in their instead of the maf and it was all good just had an ses light, not exactly sure on your idle air control code though, a vacuum leak will cause a high idle but i would say that the idle will be higher right off the bat not just after it has run for a few seconds. id make sure all your vacuum lines are connected to start out
Old 03-22-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bbradyc5
Idle is better with MAF unplugged, just not sure about how it will be driving though? Can I cause any damage driving with the MAF disconnected? It has now also throw a P0507 DTC (IAC valve duty cycle high???). Does this help diagnose the issue any more?

...update... tried swapping out with new MAF, did not correct the issue. I am suspecting either a vacuum leak or possibly TPS sensor in throttle body...any tips or suggestions for tracking the root cause down??? When I first start it, idle is normal (900-1000rpms) for about 10 sec, and then it jumps up to 1500-1600 and stays there?
I have an IAC and TPS I will sell cheap if you are interested.

James

Quick Reply: Better to Drive with Suspected Bad MAF connected or unplugged?