Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big power/stock ECU users inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big power/stock ECU users inside

I posted this in the GenIII internal engine forum, but I think this might be a better place to ask:

One of the members of our local forum (pretty sure he's a member here too) put up a post ******* LS engines, talking about how he ditched his because it wouldn't go fast enough for him. His biggest complaint being that he couldn't keep the ignition timing accurate enough with the factory ckp/reluctor. His setup went 6.80s in the 1/8 with a Procharged 408. He had ended up with BS3 injection, 7AL ignition, etc. because he wasn't satisfied with his EFIlive setup on the stock ecu. Anyone else run into this problem when they get power enough to get down in that area? I know there is stuff out there that is a lot quicker than that still using factory electronics. What is the difference? He said he was having problems with the reluctor moving on the crank, etc. and I'd never heard anything about this kind of problem with an LS. I just want to know if this is a legit argument so i can make countermeasures when I do my LQ4.
That being said, I'm looking more toward HP tuners suite. Is there really an inaccuracy problem with the stock CKP/individual coil setup? I know I've read stuff about 8 second cars still using stock coils, but I didn't know if they were using MSD dis controllers or what. I plan on making some pretty healthy power with this thing, so I'm a little concerned with my ability mainly. I've tuned a DSM with the little APEXi unit and I tuned a holley pro jection truck without too much problem, but I want to be able to get things right when I do this thing. Should I plan on going with an add on crank trigger and DIS-4 to be able to have more accurate spark, launch control and spark cut rev limiters, or will HPtuners suffice for a low 10/high 9 second plan?
Old 03-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhorse66
I posted this in the GenIII internal engine forum, but I think this might be a better place to ask:

That being said, I'm looking more toward HP tuners suite. Is there really an inaccuracy problem with the stock CKP/individual coil setup? I know I've read stuff about 8 second cars still using stock coils, but I didn't know if they were using MSD dis controllers or what. I plan on making some pretty healthy power with this thing, so I'm a little concerned with my ability mainly. I've tuned a DSM with the little APEXi unit and I tuned a holley pro jection truck without too much problem, but I want to be able to get things right when I do this thing. Should I plan on going with an add on crank trigger and DIS-4 to be able to have more accurate spark, launch control and spark cut rev limiters, or will HPtuners suffice for a low 10/high 9 second plan?

Some sponsors weld the reluctor to the crank.

The stenod team had some problems on the red rocket, even with BS3 and an external reluctor. They were turning 9000+ RPM though.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Veteran

The coils weren't our issue, the sensor was. But unless you plan to spin the motor north of ~8800 your shouldn't be concerned.

I was still using stock coils, stock PCM, and stock crank/reluctor when I was going 8.2x to 8.4x nearly 5 years ago.

Your local guy had other issues he chose not to track down.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Thats what I figured. Thanks for your reassurance, guys--I'll be using stock electronics as I've been planning to.