Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street/Dyno tune whats better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

Default Street/Dyno tune whats better?

So the guy who is doing the work on my C5 said to me that he did not do a dyno tune, he did a street tune. The Dyno to him was just a tool for accuracy, and that dyno tuning was a waste of time to him, because the Dyno is not the street. What say you?
Old 04-29-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you want to tune a car in the most practical driving situation.The best thing is a street tune,this is where the engine will be operating,you will get real iat temps,and just more accuracy.So go for it,unless you go for drives in your car while its on a dyno.The dyno is good for dialing in the wot fuel and timing,but if you have a wideband on board,then the only need for a dyno is the timing at wot.hope this helps.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 02*C5
So the guy who is doing the work on my C5 said to me that he did not do a dyno tune, he did a street tune. The Dyno to him was just a tool for accuracy
True statement.

Originally Posted by 02*C5
.. and that dyno tuning was a waste of time to him, because the Dyno is not the street. What say you?
Wrong. Dyno tuning helps to see if the changes in WOT fueling and spark affect horsepower. If he's aiming for a set AFR with a wideband O2 his street tune is going to hit that AFR. But without a dyno there is no way to determine if your car likes a slightly richer or leaner AFR, a little more advance or a little timing retard. If he's good he's probably got it pretty close, but there is probably a little more to be had from some finishing touches on the dyno.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
Wrong. Dyno tuning helps to see if the changes in WOT fueling and spark affect horsepower. If he's aiming for a set AFR with a wideband O2 his street tune is going to hit that AFR. But without a dyno there is no way to determine if your car likes a slightly richer or leaner AFR, a little more advance or a little timing retard. If he's good he's probably got it pretty close, but there is probably a little more to be had from some finishing touches on the dyno.
Absolutely correct! The dyno will tell you what AFR and Timing setup works best for each application. Taking it on the street to ensure you hit that optimized point is the best. I usually see about a 10 HP difference when I finalize the street tune on a dyno.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Dyno will tell you what timing works best on the dyno, that's not always the same as what is the best on the street under bigger load. Now if you're talking about steady state dyno tuning with a EC brake than that's a different story. That's really hard to beat.

It's also hard to beat tuning where you are gonna be using the car. If you plan on racing it at a dragstrip, then tune it there. Inertia dynos don't tell the whole story, unless it's just a dyno queen.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

So noob summary (geared to me):
Dyno tune for WOT
Street tune for part throttle/driveability (99.9+%)

The street time like Pat G, Vengeance, Mike at Icon, and others do is how they get awesome drivability with big cams. There's no replacement for that time in those cases. Do both if you can.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

1. Correct airflow model (MAF/VE) on the street for all areas. Possibly play with timing to find the outer limits.

2. Perfect PE on the dyno. Tweak timing.

3. Log and tweak again at the track, to make sure the dyno adjustments agree with real life.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with JohnCR. Just because the car makes the most "dyno" hp never/ever means it will be the fastest that way.In the past I use to tune all street/race cars on the street and they ran the fastest at the track that way.Now due to not wanting to get a ticket I use the load dyno for WOT but the cars still get a full street tune first.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I agree with JohnCR. Just because the car makes the most "dyno" hp never/ever means it will be the fastest that way.In the past I use to tune all street/race cars on the street and they ran the fastest at the track that way.Now due to not wanting to get a ticket I use the load dyno for WOT but the cars still get a full street tune first.
Thanks for posting a qualified statement. You got the credentials.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Me and my tuner drive around for a good 15 minutes so he can get everything right as far as daily driving it. We went up hills at 35mph in 5th gear and such.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Allan does both with my car for the best overall performance and driveability
Old 04-29-2009, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

the tuner here does both for my c5!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:53 PM
FormerVendor

Depending on what you have done to your ride, for high HP applications its recommended to do both. Some stock cars probably wont see the dyno, but again, it all varies. We usually always do both on all our cars.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both here too, and if you can only go one way, I go with the street! If I had MY OWN way, you guys would all have to have track rentals

Quick Reply: Street/Dyno tune whats better?