Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help. Car loads up and dies.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help. Car loads up and dies.

Not sure where to ask but here seems ok.

Ok I installed my OBX headers and ran into a problem. The car was running fine before I put these on. I had it out last weekend and didn't do anything strange.

The car starts up fine and you can tell it is idling rough and burning alot of fuel. I understand the whole fuel smell w/o cats, I was not running any cats before.

If you drive the car it just has no throttle response and if you start to cruise in 5th or 6th it slowly boggs down and dies. If you let the car idle for a few mins it will load up and kill the motor.

I pulled the plugs and they were BLACK, which means it is dumping a ton of fuel.

Replaced the front O2 sensors (they were due anyway) and put new plugs in and the car still will load up.

I am not getting any codes, and the funny thing is I have HPtuners and when use the diagnostic tools and turn OFF the Closed Loop the car idles and runs fine. As soon as I turn it back on it kills it.

I checked all the wires for a bare spot and they are not touching the headers.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?? I am really stumped on this one, I am sure some one has had this problem before.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you probably plugged the 02s into the downstream connectors.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Sounds like you probably plugged the 02s into the downstream connectors.
yea definatey double check that...

also try resetting your fuel trims.. that worked for me when my motor was loading up and bank 2 was going full rich on the o2 sensor...
Old 05-16-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Regular

i think i have the answer from over on the corvetteforum

When I hooked everything up I crossed the front O2 sensors, so when it reads the right bank is goin lean it dumps fuel on the left bank when it doesn't need it and vice versa... this is why it will slowly flood out...

i had already tried resetting the fuel trims and that didn't work.

Tommorow i am goin to get the car up and plug the front O2 sensors in the RIGHT WAY, and not have them crossed....

I am such a DUMBA$$
Old 05-17-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow didnt think the o2 with extensions would be long enough to cross them like that, although ive never tried... lol. good you found it
Old 05-18-2009, 06:17 AM
TECH Regular

no the wires are not long enough to put the fronts in the rear. i had teh left side plugged into the right side harness and vice versa...

the OBX headers move the front O2 sensors close enough together that it will allow you to accidently cross them. which i did of course.

I switched them around last night and started up the car, idled rough for about a min or two. took it up the road and it spewwed a huge black cloud of smoke and let out a pop when i got of the gas, and that was it ran like it was brand new again.

still wanna dump some sea foam in to clean all that crap out, but man am i ever glad that it was just having them crossed and not somethign worse like a pinched or burnt off wire somewhere.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i didnt put two and two together when you said corvette forums, and i didnt pay much attention to your name. lol corvette.. makes since. i was thinking o2 plug location on a f-body. theres no way your gonna be crossing them on a f-body as the connectors are way up beside the engine block for each o2... good that you found it.