Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with misfire, stumbling cylinder dropping

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 06:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Help with misfire, stumbling cylinder dropping

Mods are in my sig, misfire detection is disabled. The car ran fine when I put it away at the end of summer '07. It sat all winter and most of summer '08. (had to send the driveshaft back to ACPT). When I started driving it in Spetember '08, it had a random sputter, misfire, then a cylinder would die, sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes, a few seconds. Then it would sputter, surge and the cylinder would come back. It would often backfire a couple of times just before the cylinder quit and just before it started back up. I figured dirty injectors from sitting, so I ran cleaner through it, that didn't help, so I put it away for the winter.

Got it out this spring, same problem, been through many tanks of gas and injector cleaner, replaced the plugs and wires, it runs better now, when it is running properly but the problem still exists. It's getting a little worse now, before, when the cylinder was out, or on, it would stay that way when I was WOT or not, now, even if it appears to be running on all 8, when you mash it, it cuts in and out and causes surging.

This is new, I had thrown a knock sensor voltage low code before, but the SES light went out for a while. Now it's back and both knock sensor voltage low codes are set. I have new sensors and a wiring harness on the way, as well as a camshaft position sensor. I will replace all 3, but not confident this will resolve all the issues I am having.

I need to know which cylinder(s) is acting up, Is there anyone in the south east Michigan vicinity with a scan tool (Tech 2, HP Tuners, etc), something with the ability to kill cylinders that is willing to lend me a hand with finding the offending cylinder before I give up for this summer? (Once I get the 3 sensors replaced)