Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i am at my wit's end

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i am at my wit's end

No one can tune my car. It is an 02 WS6 with PRC stage 2.0 5.3 liter heads with an F11 (112 LSA) cam with all the supporting bolt ons. Long story short, I have been to three different shops, and at $400 a pop, I'm severely disappointed in my results, and I've actually contemplated selling my car.

The third tuner got it the closest. He showed me the ridiculous "tunes" that the other guys charged me for. He picked up 30 rwhp and 30 ft/lbs with basically no changes to the car, and showed me where most of the major tables were untouched by the previous guys.

But, my car STILL tries to die when I come to a stop, push the clutch in, or put it in neutral. It will fall to 300-400 rpms and kind of hang out there for 7-10 seconds. It will sometimes find it's idle, and then it will sometimes die. If the a/c is on, it will die almost every time. I can't drive the car like this.

I called the third tuner, and he has moved out of state. I am wary of mailing him my PCM for obvious reasons. If I find another tuner that I actually trust, I am out another $400, which brings me to $1600 total just to get my car right (maybe). I'm out of ideas. Is there anything I can do for this problem without taking it to someone else (tb drill mod)? Am I stuck buying the software and trying to fix this myself?
Old 06-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Banned

It just sounds like you need to push the base running airflow tables around alittle. Its sounds like the rest of your tune is good. You can buy the software, and mess around with the idle tuning until you get it the way you want it, then sell the software and get most your money back. And that way, you can do it at your own leisure. You really don't need a wideband for idle tuning (I think).

What kind of throttle body do you have?
Old 06-30-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by rockstar b
No one can tune my car. It is an 02 WS6 with PRC stage 2.0 5.3 liter heads with an F11 (112 LSA) cam with all the supporting bolt ons. Long story short, I have been to three different shops, and at $400 a pop, I'm severely disappointed in my results, and I've actually contemplated selling my car.

The third tuner got it the closest. He showed me the ridiculous "tunes" that the other guys charged me for. He picked up 30 rwhp and 30 ft/lbs with basically no changes to the car, and showed me where most of the major tables were untouched by the previous guys.

But, my car STILL tries to die when I come to a stop, push the clutch in, or put it in neutral. It will fall to 300-400 rpms and kind of hang out there for 7-10 seconds. It will sometimes find it's idle, and then it will sometimes die. If the a/c is on, it will die almost every time. I can't drive the car like this.

I called the third tuner, and he has moved out of state. I am wary of mailing him my PCM for obvious reasons. If I find another tuner that I actually trust, I am out another $400, which brings me to $1600 total just to get my car right (maybe). I'm out of ideas. Is there anything I can do for this problem without taking it to someone else (tb drill mod)? Am I stuck buying the software and trying to fix this myself?
Post this in the regional forums. I only tune for myself and friends, and I could do better than the results you describe. I don't say this to offer tuning service, but rather to point out that there could be a lot of people in your area that could help you out. If you can't find an individual to help you in exchange for a case of beer or something I would suggest trying Vengeance racing.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Teching In

FRA, lid, stock TB, stock MAF, stock LS6 intake
Old 06-30-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can't sell your 2002 SOM WS6 M6! What fun would that be? How much time did each of these tuners spend on the car? If you're ever in AL let me know. I've got the licenses for 2002 and I've been tweaking on my tune for years. Do you have the file of the tune by any chance?
Old 06-30-2009, 11:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some software and learn.. I am not the best at, and still learning, but if you want to read some nice info, check out the efilive forums. http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7867

Did you change injectors?

Last edited by waterbug1999; 06-30-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Frost is a wizard at idle tuning with big cams. Send him a PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

It just sounds like you airflow tables need some adjusting, There is nothing you can do without software, well the only thing you can try is to open up the TB a tad, but this will change your IAC counts and without knowing if they are too low or too high. But its worth a try until you can get it to a reputable tuner..
Old 07-01-2009, 07:39 AM
FormerVendor

I didnt realize there were even three reputable shops in Georgia that tuned LS1s..... Shoot me a PM and Ill see if we cant help you out a bit.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

Dude, I feel your pain. I am not far from Lawrenceville, thats where my family lives. I went to four shops that claimed they were LS Tunners and performance experts.....WRONG. After 7 months of looking I was finally turned on to Vengeance Racing and I have NEVER looked back. Give Ron a call and they will take care of you!!! It is just a short drive across 20 to cumming, you will not be disapointed!!!!
Old 07-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Give vengeance a call. I thought they were the only shop to go to in GA?
Old 07-01-2009, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
Give vengeance a call. I thought they were the only shop to go to in GA?
As far as I am concerned, Vengeance is the only shop... period. There are still quite a bit of wanna be LSX performance shops in Ga. All of us in the area are very fortunate to have one of the nations top LSX performance shop so close!!
Old 07-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Teching In

If you can get your car to Vengence that is your best bet. I am a couple of hours away from them and it was inconvenient for me to haul my car there. I e-mailed Vince at Trifecta. He has a tuner that can record your program while the car is running and you can e-mail it to him. He will see what problems there are and correct it. He just did mine and did an awesome job. I think they are a sponsor here. Tell him I said hi if you contact him.
Lou Rocco
Old 07-01-2009, 05:38 PM
10 Second Club

Buy your own software.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

It appears that you are about 25 miles from Vengeance Racing. From other posts that I have read, you should give them a try at it.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:53 PM
FormerVendor

We have been talking guys!! Thanx for all that support us!!! We do our best to make our customers happy and will get this car running as best as it possibly can.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance
We have been talking guys!! Thanx for all that support us!!! We do our best to make our customers happy and will get this car running as best as it possibly can.
AWESOME.. Sounds like a Stand up Company.. Glad their are still some of those around.