PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM? Or alternator? Need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM? Or alternator? Need help

Alright guys this problem is killing me. I have a 99 trans am ls1 auto, no ws6 package. When I originally purchased the car, I ran 13.50's all day long at 102-104. Since then within the last year, I have begun to experience a sort of short problem with the electrical system in the car.

When I am stopped at a stop sign or stop light, instead of my voltmeter sitting at 14 like every one else's does, I surge down to about 8-9.5 volts, in turn dimming all my lights and making the engine sluggish out of the hole. What the car does now is accelerates fine once you get going. Once I get around 75-80 mph, the voltmeter starts the bounce back and forth losing power. Anything after 100mph the car lights all dim real low, voltmeter surges to around 9 and major loss of power. With this problem I ran 14.20's-14.50's around 90 mph. These cars are not that slow stock hence why I bought it. I woulda bought a mustang if i wanted that.

No body can seem to figure out what the problem is. I tried two new alternator's. Both alternator's worked fine with no issues whatsoever for about a week maybe two at most, then went right back to the same problem. I'm at a loss. I want to yank my motor for mods but can't spend the money if I am going to permanantly have this problem of electrical issues. Has anyone experienced this or possibly know how I can fix it?

I appreciate any help you guys can give me Thank you

My email is transxtreme@yahoo.com if you need to email me.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

were in the same boat! same proplem.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happens at speed only or is RPM a factor?
I had a problem with voltage dropping under load and a new tensioner fixed it.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:12 AM

Both, at idle voltmeter drops low into the yellow zone dimming all my lights. If I accelerate like a human being, volts go back to 13.5ish and stay there until I slow back down to an idle. If I come out of the hole full throttle, you can see the lights dimming back and forth as well as the voltmeter. The faster I go and higher the RPM's, the volts just drop making the car sluggish, extremely. Dropped me from 13.5 to a 14.3 1/4 mile.

I took another member's advice who had the same problem. He replaced the plug into the alternator. Its a single wire plug that goes straight to the PCM. Fixed that and went for a spin. Hit 140 barely because the car was hesitating. Maybe the tensioner is bad, but is there a way I can check that or just replace it. How much did it cost?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I gotta ask a stupid question...have you tried a different battery??? Pull one from a buddy for a day or whatever. Also, check the wires and the connections at both ends.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:59 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure the battery isnt rocking and grounding out on takeoff?
Old 07-10-2009, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

Try cleaning up the grounding points. My LS6 has some behind the heads, by the fender, and I got under the car and did the starter connections with a wire brush.

Tony
Old 07-12-2009, 08:38 AM

brand new interstate battery still same problem. I have the car taken apart now and im slowly working on cleaning every ground i can possibly find. thanks for the help guys
Old 07-13-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

make sure you check the grounds on the back of the heads they play a big role in everything on f-cars...check the power wire to the alt and check to make sure that the connector from the main power is conected good