PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running very rich- ok to drive, bad for new muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Running very rich- ok to drive?

I just added the G5X1 cam, headers and an ORY (no cats.) The car has not been tuned yet or checked on A-tap but I think it is running pretty rich. I'm just guessing because the exhaust smells like fuel and my gas mileage is worse. I used to get around 15 mpg and know I'm only getting around 12.5 mpg.

I ran open headers for about a week (100mi.) and the car smelled REALLY bad to the point my clothes smelled like fuel if I drove it for 20 minutes. I put on the Y-pipe and my clothes no longer smell (barely) but you can still smell it outside of the car. Is this just because I have no cats? I know people say cammed cars smell like fuel but it is only barely right, not overwhelming??

Should I not be driving my car right now? I won't be getting it tuned until next April but I have another car I can drive if it is bad on anything.

Last edited by SStolen; 11-25-2003 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A real rich condition can do more damage to the cylinders by washing them down with gas.I would not start it unless you have to till you get some kind of tuning done,even a MAFT can help you for now.