PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help, just got my Turbo SS running.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help, just got my Turbo SS running.

Well, to make a long story short I had my tuner do a basic speed density tune so I could get my SS running to check for leaks/etc before I sent it to him to have dyno tuned.

Anyways, here's the problem I am having and am hoping someone can help shed some light on ideas and things to check.

When starting dead cold, it idles great but very rich (heavy rich exhaust smell with smoke) for about 2-3 minutes then stumbles and dies. Will not re-start, have to pull the fuel pump fuse to get it started. Funny think is after I pull the fuse it idles for a few minutes before it dies. I would't think the amount of fuel in the lines would keep it running that long.

Also, I forgot to mention, when it does start when it's cold when you touch the throttle pedal it stumbles and dies.

Here's the list of stuff I am working with.

2005 317 Head Longblock
LS6 Intake
Comp 918's
Comp Cam (small specs, .560 115)
MPT76mm Turbo - front mount
60lb Mototron Injectors

Thats the basics. Question, I have not installed my racetronics fuel pump kit due to making sure it started and ran before did much more. Would that be causing the problem?

Also, I noticed on my boost gauge it reads zero vacuum, is that normal for a FI vehicle? Thanks
Old 09-10-2009, 05:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you are tuned for those injectors I would not run your car at all. You are likely to wash down your cylinders and possibly spin a bearing by dilluting your oil with gas.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would assume the injector scaling was part of the "basic speed density" tune
Old 09-11-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you're fuel pressure at the rail is too low, since you have NOT installed the newer fuel pump kit.

Your injectors are trying to compensate for the lower pressure, and it's flooding your engine. It's dumping so much fuel in that you're "flooding" the engine . . . hence you're staying that it still runs with the fuel pump relay disconnected.

There's a table in your tune that references the fuel rail pressure, and the injector flow rates . . . and that's called "injector scaling"

Get the new fuel sys installed or have the tune redone for the pump that you're using
Old 09-11-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tootall
sounds like you're fuel pressure at the rail is too low, since you have NOT installed the newer fuel pump kit.

Your injectors are trying to compensate for the lower pressure, and it's flooding your engine. It's dumping so much fuel in that you're "flooding" the engine . . . hence you're staying that it still runs with the fuel pump relay disconnected.

There's a table in your tune that references the fuel rail pressure, and the injector flow rates . . . and that's called "injector scaling"

Get the new fuel sys installed or have the tune redone for the pump that you're using
Thanks man, never even thought about that. I feel real smart.

But anyways, I installed the new pump last night and will finsih the wiring tonight and crank it up. I'll let you know, thanks.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:24 AM

Be sure you change the oil and check the plugs before you start the engine again. If you did indeed have cylinder wash after sitting all night bearings may start up dry and gas washed and may spin or score, Plug may be fouled from dumping gas. also spin it over with no hot to coil until you see the oil gauge move to be sure you have fresh oil to the bearings that may now be dry from gas in your oil.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by funds4l8r
Be sure you change the oil and check the plugs before you start the engine again. If you did indeed have cylinder wash after sitting all night bearings may start up dry and gas washed and may spin or score, Plug may be fouled from dumping gas. also spin it over with no hot to coil until you see the oil gauge move to be sure you have fresh oil to the bearings that may now be dry from gas in your oil.
spinning the engine over alone with just the starter will not recirculate the oil enough. . . . you'd got to actually start the engine