PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent SES Light on 2000 SS I Just Bought, Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intermittent SES Light on 2000 SS I Just Bought, Any Ideas?

I don't have the software to pull the code myself but hope to get with a local buddy to get the code pulled soon. Here is the SES rundown though...

Tuesday: Test drive, no SES light the entire time (approx. 10 miles of driving)
Thursday: Car pick-up, SES light the entire time (approx. 20 miles of driving)
Sunday afternoon: Cruising a little, no SES light including three WOT pulls (approx. 20 miles of driving)
Sunday evening: Dinner with the fiancee's parents in Franklin, no SES light on the way, SES light trips on a few miles after leaving their house on the way back (approx. 60 miles of driving round trip)

What have you guys seen intermittent SES lights like this before? Just trying to get an idea. I have a day off of work this Wednesday and really need to get it through emissions and a SES light won't cut it. I need to get it taken care of before that, and don't know if I'll have time to get it scanned beforehand, so I need to eliminate all possibilities. If it could be something as simple as a possible misfire code (bad plug, wire, or coil pack), or if it's most likely an O2 issue. Thanks for any help on a lead.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Resident

go to autozone they scan for ya for free
Old 10-20-2009, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be o2's going bad. anything else that you notice while the light comes on?

my advice is like someone said already. take it to autozone and they will check it for free.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Bank 1 rear O2 sensor. Bad O2 sensor or clogged cat? Either way we turned off the rear O2s and I'm going to gut the cats. Easy fix.