PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a 99 trans am a Can-Bus set up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a 99 trans am a Can-Bus set up?

Is a 99 trans am a Can-Bus set up ? and if the logic in the speedo cluster went bad would it not relay the information into back to the pcm or cause the DLC not to work? i am having problems where if i let the car sit for a few days everything works for a few min then the coolant temp,fuel gauge,tach drop out and the car has a slight mis. and will not work at all untill it sits again. im wondering if sometings heating up and losing its connection ??????
Old 11-10-2009, 05:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm. Well, CAN, or Controller Area Network, is just a standard used for serial message traffic. It is used by the OBDII vehicle diagnostics, so the answer would be yes. This allows a generic OBDII scanner to detect codes on all vehicles, regardless of manufacture.
If your "logic went bad" in a specific device, it would probably not communicate at all, but something upstream would most likely be able to correctly diagnose the failure.
AFA the overall failure, it does sound like a chip overheating. Is is throwing any codes at all?
Old 11-10-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

no, the f-car did get CAN bus until 2010

The corvette/GTO went CAN in 2005

Ryan
Old 11-10-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by slow
no, the f-car did get CAN bus until 2010

The corvette/GTO went CAN in 2005

Ryan
Which CAN bus are you speaking of?
"All cars sold in the United States since 1996 are required to have a On-Board Diagnostics connector, for easy access to the car's CAN bus."
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_bus
"CAN is used in the OBD-II vehicle diagnostics standard, mandatory for all cars and light trucks sold in the United States since 1996"
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controller_area_network
However, there are several versions of CAN buses, used on other types of vehicles as well.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

when I reference CAN, I am talking about pins 6&14 of the OBD2 port, (ISO 15765-4 and SAE-J2284 specifications)

Ryan
Old 11-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys yea im not to sure i had gotten a new pcm thinking that since i wasn"t getting anything out of the pcm but i got everything else i figured something had gone in that pcm . new one was a used piece reprogrammed from someone . installed that and it worked for a min then did the exact same thing as the old pcm so im thinking something else is controlling and input to the pcm , when that fails then it messes up that circut
just dont know what else would control that and i figured that if the cluster has a logic if that had gone bad then i wouldnt come back, i dont have a codes i cannont connect at all with either pcm to be able to tell

Quick Reply: Is a 99 trans am a Can-Bus set up?