Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No starter, no gauges, OBD2 not working either

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
O and another important detail I left out. The OBD scanner will not log in and scan the car. It just says waiting for vehicle to respond and can never communicate with the car's computer.
If you put the scanner interface into a USB port different than the one you initially used to program your laptop it won't recognize the cars computer. You need to scroll through on the initial interface page and scroll through the ports and keep trying until the computer recognizes the port. Most default to port #1.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to find out why your scan tool won't connect. Is your network down? Have you checked the pins on your DLC? If you have power and ground start looking for network activity using a GMM or DSO. You don't need to know what you're looking at. You only need to be sure you see activity on the line.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
You need to find out why your scan tool won't connect. Is your network down? Have you checked the pins on your DLC? If you have power and ground start looking for network activity using a GMM or DSO. You don't need to know what you're looking at. You only need to be sure you see activity on the line.
If there is no power when the key is the on the OBDII port will not have power either. Mines is the same way. The car just acts like the key is not on and HPT thinks its not on because theres no switched power, therefore, no communication.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

The DLC should have Vcc regardless of whether the key is on or not. The DLC usually shares the cig liter fuse on GM so check that fuse first. You need to go back to basics starting with at the key switch using a schematic and a DVOM. Find out which circuits are HOT with the key off and at KOEO and KOER. Do some probing at your fuse panel and at your DLC. You can check for power and ground using a DVOM. To find network activity you'll need a GMM or DSO. A plain jane oscilloscope will work too. You not trying to interpret the data you see. I don't think that information is even released by the manufacturers. All your looking for is activity which tells your network is OK. That it is not being held down to the ground by a short to the chassis or being held high by a short to power. A module could also hold the network down too. You may have to unplug modules one at a time until the network comes back online as you watch the scope for activity.

Last edited by eallanboggs; 01-13-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The DLC should have Vcc regardless of whether the key is on or not. The DLC usually shares the cig liter fuse on GM so check that fuse first. You need to go back to basics starting with at the key switch using a schematic and a DVOM. Find out which circuits are HOT with the key off and at KOEO and KOER. Do some probing at your fuse panel and at your DLC. You can check for power and ground using a DVOM. To find network activity you'll need a GMM or DSO. A plain jane oscilloscope will work too. You not trying to interpret the data you see. I don't think that information is even released by the manufacturers. All your looking for is activity which tells your network is OK. That it is not being held down to the ground by a short to the chassis or being held high by a short to power. A module could also hold the network down too. You may have to unplug modules one at a time until the network comes back online as you watch the scope for activity.
Thats correct, the obdII will always have 12v constant power, but the port won't communicate with HPT if it doesnt detect that the key is on. This is where the problem lies, but if the switch was indeed bad why would the fuel pump and stereo still work?
Old 01-13-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

If you can't connect to the net with the key ON you have to find out why your network is down. Do you have a wire shorted to ground or power holding the net low or hi? Do you have a defective module on the net pulling the entire net down? Time for a schematic and an oscilloscope, DSO or GMM unless you can afford a TechII which you might find on sale for $3,000.00. You might find a SnapOn Vantage for $300 on Ebay. You have to look for a short to power or ground on the net. If you don't find a short you have to unplug module connectors one at a time until you see activity start happening on the net. Will a different scan tool connect to the vehicle other than HPT? Have you tried connecting your HPT to another vehichle.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you can't connect to the net with the key ON you have to find out why your network is down. Do you have a wire shorted to ground or power holding the net low or hi? Do you have a defective module on the net pulling the entire net down? Time for a schematic and an oscilloscope, DSO or GMM unless you can afford a TechII which you might find on sale for $3,000.00. You might find a SnapOn Vantage for $300 on Ebay. You have to look for a short to power or ground on the net. If you don't find a short you have to unplug module connectors one at a time until you see activity start happening on the net. Will a different scan tool connect to the vehicle other than HPT? Have you tried connecting your HPT to another vehichle.
Where are the modules located?
Old 01-13-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

They're located all over the vehicle. You're going to need Helm, Alldata or Mitchell to find them and the connectors you need to unplug. You'll also need to determine the topology of your network. I would chose Helm of the 3 since they make the OEM manual.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Sorry guys when I said scanner, I meant code reader. No laptop required
Old 01-13-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They're located all over the vehicle. You're going to need Helm, Alldata or Mitchell to find them and the connectors you need to unplug. You'll also need to determine the topology of your network. I would chose Helm of the 3 since they make the OEM manual.
Thanks, looks like I have some work to do.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperC1
Where are the modules located?
Our cars don't have a network in the modern sense of the word. Several devices communicate with each other using class 2 serial signals in a single wire system.

The devices are:
- Powertrain Control Module (PCM), under the hood on right side of the firewall
- Instrument cluster
- Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM), left frame rail attached to the brake pressure modulator valve
- Airbag Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM), under the center console

Each of these devices has a serial data wire going to a splice pack mounted just above the DLC (OBD2) port. It connects five wires together: dark green, dark blue, purple, light blue, gray.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok we got the resistors. We are gonna bypass the VATS this weekend and see what she does. Will update as we find out something.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Update: the white connector in the pass kick panel was disconnected. Everything appears functional.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Update: the white connector in the pass kick panel was disconnected. Everything appears functional.
How did it become disconnected, and what lead you to it? It would seem odd that a connector would just come apart on its on for no reason.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Tough Mudder

I have no one to blame but myself.

When I removed the nitrous from the car, the wires going to the engine bay were wrapped around the harnesses. Because I didn't want to cut the wires, I simply unplugged the harnesses and freed the wires.

I neglected to reconnect them.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

robl
Originally Posted by SuperC1
I'm having the same issue, when I turn the key I can hear the fuel pump prime, but no dash lights, plus it won't crank. I never did hear the relays click either, but all the fuses are good. I swapped the relays around and still nothing, so I'm guessing the relays aren't geting any fire when the switch comes on. I checked all the fuses with a test light and they are getting fire even the ones that come on with switched power, but no dash light or CEL. The funny thing about all of this is the car was running when I noticed the failure. I had just made a pass at 120mph before and was driving home when this all happened, go figure. The main thing that got my attention was the oil pressure was pegged out, but when the car is off it never goes back to zero, so I figured the guage or cluster was just going bad.
Found the problem with the oil guage, pressure switch was unplugged.
Now, if can figure out the rest of my problem it would be great.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hilton
I have no one to blame but myself.

When I removed the nitrous from the car, the wires going to the engine bay were wrapped around the harnesses. Because I didn't want to cut the wires, I simply unplugged the harnesses and freed the wires.

I neglected to reconnect them.
Oh, that sounds logical..
Old 03-10-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Found out why my guages quit, the fuse was blown, so I replaced it and got power back but still no crank. I was able use my scan tool and pulled the codes and got a p0650 (mil malufunction). I still don't think this would stop it from cranking but for some odd reason it won't. I was told that if the guages fuse blew while the car was running it will not crank, but once the fuse was replaced everything should go back to normal, but this is not the case, what gives
Old 03-10-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

You need to go back to basics and treat the vehicle like it's NOT computer controlled. You should do point to point tests using a DVOM and good schematic. No Crank or No Start always starts at the BATT. All terminals must be clean and tight. The starter motor must be in working order and bolted tightly to the engine block(starter body and engine block is an electrical connection return path to BATT ground). Must also check key switch output when is start position. Does 12Vdc get to the starter relay when key is in S position? Have you jumped pin 30 to pin 87 at the start relay? Does the starter receive Ground from the ECM when the key is in the S position? You can simulate all the start functions by removing the starter relay and checking pins 85,86,87 and 30 when the key is in the S position. Use your schematic and DVOM to make these checks. This process applies to any starter circuit no just an LS series vehichle. The ECM may put ground on one side of the starter relay control circuit if all the conditions are satisfied for good start up. This might include being in Park or Neutral or having the clutch depressed on a manual trans.

Last edited by eallanboggs; 03-10-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You need to go back to basics and treat the vehicle like it's NOT computer controlled. You should do point to point tests using a DVOM and good schematic. No Crank or No Start always starts at the BATT. All terminals must be clean and tight. The starter motor must be in working order and bolted tightly to the engine block(starter body and engine block is an electrical connection return path to BATT ground). Must also check key switch output when is start position. Does 12Vdc get to the starter relay when key is in S position? Have you jumped pin 30 to pin 87 at the start relay? Does the starter receive Ground from the ECM when the key is in the S position? You can simulate all the start functions by removing the starter relay and checking pins 85,86,87 and 30 when the key is in the S position. Use your schematic and DVOM to make these checks. This process applies to any starter circuit no just an LS series vehichle. The ECM may put ground on one side of the starter relay control circuit if all the conditions are satisfied for good start up. This might include being in Park or Neutral or having the clutch depressed on a manual trans.
How can I test for ground from the ecm?

Quick Reply: No starter, no gauges, OBD2 not working either